Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Interesting Info About Dandruff..

http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/problem/dandruff

Dandruff

Dandruff particles are visible flakes of skin that have been continuously shed from the scalp. It is normal to shed some dead skin flakes as the skin is constantly renewing itself. The new cells form in the lower layers. They are gradually pushed to the surface as more new cells form beneath them. By the time they reach the surface, the cells have become flat and overlap each other like roof tiles. By then, these cells are dead and are shed from the surface all the time. They are so small that we do not notice this is happening.
    With dandruff, this whole process of skin renewal (or skin turnover) speeds up, so a greater number of dead cells are being shed. Also, the cells are shed in clumps, which are big enough to be seen with the naked eye as embarrassing flakes, especially when they land on dark clothing. The scalp may also feel slightly itchy.

Dandruff is very common. According to Proctor and Gamble, it affects more than 50% of the population of the USA – so it is more common to have dandruff than not! It can occur at any age, but is most likely in the early 20s.

Causes of dandruff

Surprisingly, dandruff is a bit of an enigma. About 25 years ago, dermatologists started to blame a tiny fungus, the Malassezia yeast, on the scalp. Everyone has some Malassezia yeast on their skin, particularly in the greasy areas such as the scalp and upper back. It feeds on the natural grease of the skin, from which it produces oleic acid. The oleic acid triggers increased turnover of skin cells, resulting in dandruff. So, getting rid of the yeast should improve the dandruff.

Hormones may also be involved, because dandruff usually starts after puberty and is more common in men than women. For unknown reasons, people with some illnesses, such as Parkinson’s disease, are more likely to have dandruff.

Common beliefs about dandruff – true or false?

Dandruff is due to dryness of the skin
    False. Dandruff is caused by a rapid turnover of cells, so more dead cells are shed from the surface. In fact, dandruff occurs in areas where the grease glands of the skin are most active, and the skin is not usually dry.

Dandruff is more common in males than in females
    True. Probably because the grease glands are affected by hormones.

Dandruff is affected by the weather
    Probably true. Sunlight inhibits the growth of the Malassezia yeast.

Dandruff results from poor hygiene
    False. Dandruff is caused by rapid turnover of skin cells, probably as a reaction to the Malassezia yeast. However, dandruff sufferers do not have more of the yeast than other people – they are just more sensitive to it.

Dandruff is contagious
    False. You can not ‘catch’ dandruff from someone else, such as by using his/her brush or comb.

Wearing a hat worsens dandruff
    Possibly true. Pityrosporum ovale yeasts thrive best when protected from sunlight. Also, wearing a hat prevents sweat from evaporating, and this may encourage the yeast.

Getting rid of dandruff

• Hair gels and other hair products can irritate the scalp in some people. For a while, try doing without whatever you have been using, or change to a different product.
    • Do not scratch your scalp. When you shampoo, massage your scalp without scratching. Scientists have looked at hair from dandruff sufferers who scratch, using an electron microscope that magnifies 400 times. They could see fingernail marks, damaging the hair at its root.
    • If your dandruff is mild, try shampooing your hair twice a week using any shampoo labelled ‘frequent use, for dry hair’ (not an ordinary ‘antidandruff’ shampoo). This will remove the flakes that are being shed, and the moisturizer in the shampoo will protect the scalp.
    • Avoid dyeing your hair (unless you absolutely must). We all have bacteria on our scalp, some of which are beneficial. These ‘good’ bacteria prevent dandruff yeast, and hair dyes reduce their numbers.
    • If you want to try a natural remedy, boil four heaped tablespoons of dried thyme in half a litre of water (just under a pint) for 10 minutes. Let it cool and strain it through a sieve into a jar. Massage some of the liquid onto your scalp three times a week. Do not rinse it out.
    • Look for a shampoo containing tea tree oil. Research from Australia (published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology in 2002) showed that a 5% tea tree oil shampoo improved dandruff by 41%, which means that, although it did not get rid of the dandruff completely, there was a noticeable improvement.
    • For more severe dandruff, you need to deal with the yeast. This means looking carefully at the small print on the antidandruff shampoo in your local pharmacy. You could start by trying a shampoo containing selenium sulfide, which has an anti-yeast effect. Wet your hair, rub the shampoo onto your scalp and rinse off. Repeat, leaving the shampoo for 3–5 minutes before rinsing off. Do not use selenium sulfide within 48 hours of applying a hair colorant or a perm lotion. Some shampoos contain zinc pyrithione, another anti-yeast chemical.
    • The most effective treatment is an anti-yeast shampoo containing ketoconazole which, in some countries, you can buy from a chemist without a doctor’s prescription. Wet your hair, rub the shampoo onto your scalp and rinse off. Repeat, leaving the shampoo for 3–5 minutes before rinsing off. Use it twice a week for 2–4 weeks to clear the dandruff, and then once every 2 weeks, using a normal shampoo in between times.
    • Antidandruff conditioners are also available.

When to see your doctor about dandruff

You should certainly see your family doctor if your scalp is red and itchy – or if the skin is flaky around the eyebrows, round the nose or behind the ears – because this suggests you have the more severe form called seborrhoeic dermatitis (seborrhoeic eczema). You should also see your doctor if the dandruff is very lumpy or patchy, or if you have scaly skin elsewhere, because it could be a skin disorder, such as psoriasis.

Written by: Dr Margaret Stearn
    Edited by: Dr Margaret Stearn
    Last updated: Friday, February 26th 2010
    "Life is an unfoldment, and the further we travel the more truth we can comprehend. To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those that lie beyond." ~ Hypatia

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info!
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really impressive information. I mentioned this once before in a thick hair diva thread
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info!

I had a flaky and itchy scalp for the longest while until I tried an OTC shampoo containing ketoconazole. The stuff definitely made my year
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great information.

One of my problems is with scratching. I KNOW scratching is bad and I KNOW it's damaging, but it feels sooooo goooood! Most times I'm okay with not scratching, but sometimes my fingers curl and my nails just go to work!

Also, my dandruff worsens when hot water is involved.

*sigh*

Why is it that the stuff that is not so good feels the best?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing! I too have issues with scratching! I'm trying to not scratch my scalp. When I scratch, dandruff shows up. If I don't scratch, then voila! - no dandruff! I need to do better!
    Hair Texture: 4a/3c, fine, low porosity
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/princesasosweet
    Blog: http://naturallytextured.blogspot.com

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUMMARY:

No Oxygen=NASTAY!

Thankyou!
    Quote Originally Posted by khalliqa View Post
    [url]Wearing a hat worsens dandruff
    [/B]Possibly true. Pityrosporum ovale yeasts thrive best when protected from sunlight. Also, wearing a hat prevents sweat from evaporating, and this may encourage the yeast.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this time I thought it was a moisture issue. As long as I'm washing my hair at least once a week I don't see anything. It was much worse when I use to wear my hair straight some years back and try to keep the style for two weeks. lol smh
    Natural as of June 12, 2010
    Loced as of January 17, 2011

Day one on the left, one month on the right

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've learned a lot from this article as well.. :-)
    "Life is an unfoldment, and the further we travel the more truth we can comprehend. To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those that lie beyond." ~ Hypatia

TikiB is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info.
    My thanks and appreciation go to the lovely one who PANKED me!

http://public.fotki.com/Tiki-Blue/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast