Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question for Ladies that Cowash Daily

Do you detangle your hair every time you cowash? I noticed if I don't detangle twice (once after putting conditioner in my hair, and then again after putting my leave-ins) my hair gets very tangled, and I have to cut out the knots :nono:. Its almost like my hair prefers being straight. I would love to rock my natural curl pattern, but all the detangling I do removes all the curls. I would like to increase my cowashing to 2-3 times a week, but I'm worried that detangling my hair too often will cause it to break. So my question is do you detangle your hair every time you cowash, and is there anyway I can preserve my curl pattern without gel.

P.S. I currently have a twa, if that helps.
    Last edited by *Beauty_Bandit; 11-16-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct: The detangling is causing you to lose your curls. So obviously the way to preserve the curls is not to detangle until you absolutely have to.

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but: without actually touching it, how do you know your hair is tangled? For that matter, how would anyone looking at your hair know that it's tangled?

I had my TWA shaped four weeks ago and yesterday was the first time I actually used a comb on it. And I don't have curls...I have coils (think coffee stirrer size or maybe a little larger). And up until yesterday all the detangling I did happened with my fingers and the shower pressure. If your hair is short enough (mine is currently 3" at its longest) and you're co-washing every day, you shouldn't need to detangle at all because the combination of your fingers and the water should be getting shed hair out.

Try this: For the next few days, keep the rest of your regimen, but don't detangle. When you are ready to detangle, mix about 1/2 conditioner and 1/2 oil, apply it to your dry hair, let it sit for about 15-30 minutes, THEN detangle, THEN co-wash.

As for preserving curl pattern without gel: You might want to try using a leave-in that has a cone in its first five ingredients. Some people frown on cones, but some of them seem to work for me. Note that to get rid of them you actually have to shampoo with real shampoo at some point; I don't have a problem with that myself. *shrug*
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cowash and detangle everyday. If you can detangle everyday, do it with soaking wet hair. I never towel dry. I cowash, rinse and use my moisturizer. I hate gel, so I never use it. I have a 3-4 inch twa.

Your conditioner could be the culprit for the loss of curls. I've noticed that some conditioners are good for my curls and some are not.

I don't have a problem with shedding even though I comb my hair daily. Btw, I use a small tooth comb to detangle with. I probably have to stop once my hair is much longer, but it's working right now. I also use a "wet style" comb to style with. It has 3 rows of teeth. I love it.

It's totally different for everyone. I hope you find what works for you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't cowash daily, but when I do, I detange with my fingers. If you do detangle with a comb, I'd follow up and scrunch the hair. You don't even need product, just the scrunching will do.
    Natural as of June 12, 2010
    Loced as of January 17, 2011

Day one on the left, one month on the right

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. You shouldn't have to be detangling twice in one day with a TWA. I detangle with a tool once a week, on my wash day.. any other time my hair is wet (either rinsing or cowashing) I do a loose fingercomb and it does the job. I learned right off the bat that it takes 3904823942 times longer to detangle my hair in the shower if my hair is loose. If your hair is long enough try sectioning with clips or twists right after you detangle it. That way it stays detangled when you go to style it or apply products and saves a lot of time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co-wash pretty much daily but i dont detangle every time. I detangle like once a week or whenever I feel like it. I just put the conditioner in and let it sit then rinse it out and shake.