Maternal:
    Montgomery - from Tyler, Ms and Greensburgs,LA in Saint Helena Parish
    Muse - from Greensburg, LA and Kentwood, LA
    Robertson - from Greensburg, LA
    Vaughn - from Greensburg, LA
    Lewis - Percy Creek in Woodville, MS
    Kendricks - Greensburg, LA
    Dawson - from either Georgia or Louisiana
    Cryer/Crier - from Louisiana around St. Helena Parish, Feliciana Parish or other parishes close around.
    Gibson - from around St. Helena parishe, or parishes close around
    Paternal :
    Henderson - Illionis and Arkanas
    Gaines - Illionis and Arkanas

My Daugthers - Paternal
    Harden - Greenville, LA and there abouts
    Williams - Arkansas
    MacDonald - from either Arkansas or Louisiana
    Last edited by helenhjones; 04-02-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: add Maternal : Cryer/Crier from LA and Dawson from GA
    http://members.fotki.com/helenhjones/about
    Wellcome to read my fotki.com JOURNAL

Length Retention Goals: Full APL, with BSL to MBL; and to have "patience"

NLWST Method
    Fingercomb-separate hair only

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paternal
    Gantt (South Carolina)
    Cochrum (South Carolina)

Maternal
    Ford (South Carolina)
    Smith ( south Carolina)
    B/C- Jan 21, 2011

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paternal-
    Howard -Ohio or Georgia
    McCray-Perry, Hutson, Georgia

Maternal-
    Jones-Tennessee
    Bridges-Atlanta Georgia, Tennessee
    Tillman-Tennessee.. have a distant gggg from Alabama, Mississippi
    Lawrence-South Carolina(1790),Tennessee
    Buchanan(Buckhman)- Tennessee (1850)
    James- Charleston or Sumter South Carolina
    Last edited by NappNsoul; 04-10-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maternal:
    Powers (Michigan)
    Booth (Michigan)
    Marshall (West VA)

Paternal:

Smith ( Michigan)
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking info on any 'Winthrop' families. Most seem to have roots in the New York State and New England States regions.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thatblackgirl
    My paternal grandfather's last name is Mingo. I am extremely curious as to what the origin is. I have heard it could be African, French, Spanish and even American Indian. How would you suggest I go about finding the orgin of this last name?

Thanx in advance

If I remember right, there was some discussion on this surname on Afrigeneas.com a few years ago. I may well had done some look-ups for someone researching this name....I did quite a bit of that
    You might want to search the forum archives there. Good luck!
    I might be pathetic for this. I think I have a Surname Meaning addiction or something. I came across this name a few years ago taking a class with a person who had this surname. So, I looked it up and initially found that the name is linked to Scottish immigrants. I've been looking up this name, every now and then, for about 5 years since I first came across it. Why? Because when I first encountered it I thought that it was an African name by the way it sounded, and was spelled.

In my last search on this name I came across a page online that suggested that the Mingo surname indeed has African roots, not just African roots, but sub-Saharan African roots. And this surname evolved into the Scottish people who then brought it to the Americas and 'regave' the surname to their African-Slaves.

There is a history of sub-Saharan linked people that were bred into nations like Scotland, Ireland, England, Italy and Spain. Some of this lineage come via denied Moor (sub-Sahran/Arab mixed) bloodlines. But some of this lineage comes from blacks having been assimilated into whites via being educated and/or idolized somehow by whites in Europe (I can't recall exactly, but I think this was how many Scottish came to have the Mingo surname). Europe has some interesting, yet not widely discussed, bits of information regarding the existence and influence of sub-Saharan Africans and the bloodline scattered throughout it's history.

This is not the link in reference above, but something I found doing a quick search on the Mingo surname and Africa:

http://www.afrigeneas.com/forume/ind.../read/id/18186
    Freedmen/Mingo
    By:Tee
    Date: 7/15/2007, 3:20 pm
    I would like to give respect to the Freedmen and call them Mingo Freedmen if they give me permission to do so. Mingo means Chief and because you are a just people and fighting for your rights may the Great Spirit give you this title and abase those who are trying to take away your right. I am a mixed native american of xicas(chickasw), Ani(cherokee), Taino(native of puerto rico), Habashet(ethiopia)tribe of Safar and west african blood(tribe unknown)and of the morarab) The tribe of Safar were merchants and traveled around the world on trade as far as the America, by the trade winds. Mingo means Chief it derived from an African tribe name WOLOF, they can now be found in Senegambia in africa. Mingo is also amongst the African Tribes Of Hausa and Mandika tribe. Thus, Mingo is also a name in Africa. On, my earlier writings on this site, i talked about how the land mass of africa and native America were connected and then split and how tribes of africa, by the trade winds would come to america on trade. tishomingo is the mingo assisstance. Because of this ancient trade and cultural exchange is why you find Mingo in Africa and Mingo in nativeAmerica. And more importantly, when Africa and native america was one continent in the very ancient of days. Khem(ancient egypt)which is africa. Khem means black. would also travel to the west, America and the carribeans. In the lands of Khem, When the sun went down, the sun was said to be in the land of the dead, which is america and the carribbeans, they take their ships to the land of the dead and return with the corn and other natural resources, some of native america natural resources were used in khem to place in the mummies to bury the dead. Some were used for medicine. The ancient Africans were in south America as well. This is why you find crops grown in Africa that was not indigenous to that continent and only indigenous to native America. This is why you find pyramids in Africa and in Native America i.e., Mexica, South America, and if you look closely they are in the midwest as well, they are very old, you might not recognize them. This is Called cultural exchange of higher math and architect,and astonomy. However, the first pyramids were in Africa. i'll could tell you what they were used for,but this site is not for that, only for african/native american topics.
    This is interesting, too.
    Last name: Mingo

A Spanish nickname surname which derives from the Latin Dominus meaning 'he who is the master'. The popularity of the name on the medieval continent produced over one hundred and sixty variant and alternative spellings including Dimanche (Paris) Demaige (Burgundy) Domengue (Gascony) Domenico (Venice) Mingo, Minghi (Spain) Menco (Italy) Domonkos (Hungary) etc. Minghini and Minchino being examples of the patronymic 'son of Dominus'. The popularity of the name was largely owing to the founder of the Dominican Order of monks. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of St, Dominicus which was dated 1170 - 1221, The Dominican Order. during the reign of King Louis 1X of France C. 1206 - 1262. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
    and this which suggests links to Spaniards via the Spanish Armada (many of whom carried Moor bloodlines) - http://surnames.behindthename.com/bb/sur/427831
    Last edited by sulano; 04-23-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maternal (momma's side)
    Scott (from grandfather out of Montgomery, AL)
    Coleman (Great-GrandFather out of South Carolina)
    Roach (Grandmother & Great-Grandmother out of Rock Hill, SC)

Paternal (Never Met Him)
    His name is Albert Ambrose Singleton and last know address is Sumpter, SC; but known to have lived in TX as well.
    *Fearless and Beautifully Me...*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for any and all PROSSER

decendants of the slaves from the Thomas Prosser plantation in Henrico County, VA

yes, decendant of the plantation of gabriel prosser
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my last name is Oke
    my mother's maiden last name is Amosu
    i am half Nigerian half Ghanian
    Lola Likey:)
    Last Relaxer: 01-04-11
    BC: 01-04-13 (hopefully)
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maternal (Louisiana and Texas)
    Achan
    Wilson
    Hardy
    Comier

paternal (I don't know where he is from but I am searching for info)
    Reggie Austin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    loose to sisterloced-->8 YEAR NAPPIVERSERY OCTOBER 2011!!!!
    http://public.fotki.com/Netta1/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast