Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black Hair/Style Politics article, over a decade later

Back in '87 a little while after the MJ curly-permed hair accident, Kobena Mercer wrote an article on Black Hair/Style Politics. She cuts from MJ to Angela Davis to Grace Jones with special attention on afros and locs (e.g. symbol of Africanness in the 70s, while read as American by actual Africans). I wonder what she'd write these days now that nappturals are "the trend"....

So does being napptural "mean something" to you or is it just a (life)style choice?

http://www.amielandmelburn.org.uk/co...ions/03_33.pdf
    "Relaxing cremes, gels, dyes and other new technologies have enabled a width of experimentation that suggests that hair-straightening does not 'mean' the same thing after as before the era of the Afro and Dreadlocks. Black practices of stylization today seem to exude confidence in their enthusiasm for combining elements from any source - black or white, past or present - into new configurations of cultural expression. Post-liberated black hair-styling emphasizes a 'pick 'n' mix' approach to aesthetic production, suggesting a different attitude to the past in its reckoning with modernity. The philly-cut on the hip-hop/go-go scene etches diagonalized lines across the head, refashioning a style from the 1940s where a parting would be shaved into the hair."
    Last edited by shelfrog; 12-09-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should say "Western" not American...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to some people, its a mere hairstyle. but to me, it means sometimes more; a resurgence of culture and an alteration of values and aesthetics. I feel more closer to who I am, physically. No more hiding because horsetail butt weaves, braids, and cancer ridden cremy cracks. Thats what napptural means to me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means I no longer walk around smelling like rotten eggs and burned hair and that I no longer define myself by my hair. Plus I get to laugh at or at least shake my head at the permies and straight hair wearers who think they're the ish just because they have straight hair but are just hot messes physically.

kell is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it means I can feel comfortable and be myself. There are so many people in my life who want me to perm or straighted my hair but its too much of a hassel to please someone else. No more scabs in my head from a perm and no more burns on my ear from irons. I stopped wearing wigs their way too hot. Just a afro or twist I use to have locs but my fam hated that too . I might even loc again. From afro to locs to a fade, I'm so much more comfortable with natural hair. Its just one less stress or worry, it feels right. To me its like a comfortable pair of slippers you crave for when you've been walking around in heals all day. So why not just wear the comfortable shoes all day. Alot of people ask me why I'm trying to look African. I just don't get it, their are alot of African people here that have perms. We have to fight just too be ourselves. I don't see white people running around trying to find a chemical that makes their hair nappy or buying a afro wig and the few that do are not taken seriously. off topic Exotica X I luv your locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, first convenience and then health led to my being more napptural (less chem, less messed with) - not just hair. The advent of parenthood definitely pushed me to be deliberate, rather than casual about the choices I was making on that front. On the other hand, I've gradually gotten comfortable with the idea that my convenient choices are considered political statements. Nothing disturbs some folks more than knowing you're comfortable looking them in the eye and happy being your own self.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just BTW - Kobena Mercer is a man.

"I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.. and he's looking kinda napped, too I love the interwebs...