Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post New to Nappturality

Hi Everyone,

I'm from NYC, where the winter weather is killing my dry super coarse hair right now. I've been natural for a year and change. My younger sister went natural first and I was like " let me do it too". My chop after transitioning was March 2009. I've YouTubed, searched blogs, and been a project junkie. I love that there are so many resources out there with advise on how to care for our natural hair. I even tried keratin treatment, which was horrible for me. But I've learned that caring for my natural hair is a learning experience. I wore weaves for about 4 years, which I loved, but now I wear more twist outs, bantu knot outs, and protective do's. I think the biggest transition for me was getting used to seeing myself with my natural hair, not relaxed hair not weaved hair BUT just the natural me. After a year, I guess with length I became used to it. I receive just as many compliments or even more with my natural hair styles as I did with my weaves.
    My largest challenge with my coarse hair is that its prone to dryness thus I experience, split ends and single strand knots. If any of you naptural beauties can advise me on how to decrease or rid my hair of these pesty ends I'd be extremely grateful.

-Ms. Autumn Grey

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peace sis, welcome! There's plenty of info here for you, check out our forums and things! See ya around.

Basal is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to napps heaven

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and Welcome to NP!!!!

The best advice I can give you on your split ends is to keep em covered unless you have to have them out. Whenever you do a protective style, try to have the ends folded under in some what to protect them from the elements (bunning, clipping, pinning, etc.) You can also try the baggy method (YouTube). I've heard people have had a lot of success with this in combatting split ends.

With the dryness, honey, lol. The only thing that really works for me in combatting dryness is
    1)If I have my hair loose, I have to co-wash daily with a THICK conditioner (I use V05 Moisture Milks). Then I have to apply a leave-in and some cocoa butter. I sometimes put castor oil on my ends as well to protect it from the elements.
    2)If my hair is in a protective style, it holds moisture pretty well. If my hair is feeling a bit dry, I will spritz it with my oil/water spritz once I'm in the house for the day and it holds moisture pretty well for at least a day or two.

Hope this helps!!!!
    BC'd: July 20, 2010
    Natural Hair/Personal Blog: http://imanaturalblackgirl.blogspot.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]