Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going from Angela Davis Sized 'Fro to A TWA: What Barber/Salon in NYC?

Hi everybody!

So, I have a big ol', around 12 inch 'fro that I am ready to let go of. I did the loc thing for a few years, then combed it all out (That took 9 DAYS). I am about to (try) to start a serious exercise routine and just want my hair really short, no fuss. I have super-duper-extra-terrific-expialydocious kinky hair (Nigerian follicles! Woo!) so unless it is about a half inch short, no pic has ever survived a comb through.

ANYWAY, I need a recommendation for a barber/salon that will give me a really great cut in the Brooklyn/Manhattan NYC area. I am a little leery of barbers, because the last time I had a TWA, I went to a local barber and he kept on giving me this hard-edged dude cut! I kept on asking for a soft, feminine TWA, but nooooo, hard edges all the way! My last straw was when he gave me a ceasar with a part! He had his own ideas and was determined to put them on my head, LOL!

ANYWAY, this is all just to ask about a good place to go. Thanks, peoples!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The barber I visited for the first time is good, but he is located in the Bronx. I'll send you his information off-list.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should definitely go to Nedjetti she's in NYC at Mane Advocates 369 W 35 (btwn 8 & 9 ave) and befriend Nedjetti on Facebook, she has over 80 gorgeous natural styles all extension free including BC in her PHOTO section with before and after images

www.facebook.com/hairbynedjettisalon

Nedjetti's salon # is 973.748.0181 and her website is http://hairbynedjetti.com/vnhop.htm

Nedjetti's FB page has a holiday special get a FREE STEAM TREATMENT til Jan 1st

You'll be in great hands, Nedjetti's work is amazing...keep us posted
    Last edited by NaturalTresses; 12-16-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khamit Kinks has a big chop special going on.

Khamit Kinks We are just 1 week away from our Big Chop event! We will be offering cutting services to remove relaxed hair, shorten or remove Locs, and trim dead ends. If you're looking to go into the New Year wih a trimming of the old and ushering in of the new, please register for our Big Chop.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by masoesa View Post
    Khamit Kinks has a big chop special going on.

Khamit Kinks We are just 1 week away from our Big Chop event! We will be offering cutting services to remove relaxed hair, shorten or remove Locs, and trim dead ends. If you're looking to go into the New Year wih a trimming of the old and ushering in of the new, please register for our Big Chop.
    You know, I kept calling Khamit Kinks all day today and no one picked up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a post today that they have phone problems because of verizon. Found it. Tell Anu I said hi:

Khamit Kinks There is continuous construction work in our area and our phones acting up again. Verizon says they can't come until Friday. If you can't reach us via the phone, please send an email to info@khamitinks.com.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darqchild View Post
    The barber I visited for the first time is good, but he is located in the Bronx. I'll send you his information off-list.

can u send me his info too! thanks
    NHDC- NaturalHairDoCare <3

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the info. In the end, I went and have continued to go to De Lux Gallery here in Fort Greene, Brooklyn:

http://www.deluxgallery.com/delux_na...r_contact.html

They specialize in loc care, but they do have a wonderful barber named Trevor. He is such a gracious man and always gives you exactly what you want. If you don't know what you want, he will still hook you up nicely. It is $20--I think if you want a wash and conditioning treatment after it goes up to $30--and I usually tip an extra $5. While it may seem pricey for a barber, I only have to go see him once every 3 months, because my hair holds the shape well, his cuts are THAT good.