Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Locating Lost Family Members: My Pet Project

Lately, I have an "obsession" to locate long lost members of my family. I honestly don't even know where to start. As far as I know, my father's, father's family (the Talley's)originated in Tennesse.

The story is that my great-grandfather was one of five brothers. When they left the plantation, they all settled in different cities. One went to Buffalo, New York, one went to Gary, Indiana and another went to Indianapolis, Indiana. To this day, we don't know what ever became of the other two brothers or if we may have other family out there somewhere.

So my New Year's Resolution is to find my family. It is a huge undertaking and will no doubt be a daunting task. But I can't, in good conscienous leave my family out there.

So, does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should start my search???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good morning...perhaps you can start with a few internet searches. I'll share my story: I last saw my father when I was 7yrs old. That was the first and last time. Throughout the years I asked my mom about him but she couldn't seem to tell me much other than his name and that he was a Geechee from SC. Time went on and I kept wondering about him as she said I look just like him. I have these strong African features and wanted to know where they came from. I tried to forget about him but I just had to know who he was and why he never came back. So back in 2007 I did a few random internet searches for the SC area and came up with a couple of folks that shared his name. What I did was simple even though at the time it seemed like a long shot. I sent letters to the five names that I found in SC. I don't know why but I feel that most times folks return to the temple of their familuar. I used my work address and only included vague information in the letter and a picture. I figured since my mom said I looked so much like him perhaps I'd be recognized. Long story short, after sending out the five letters I received a letter back from a woman in Monks Corner SC. She said she was my Aunt!!!! She claimed me just from my picture because she said I looked just like her brother Buddy (real name Ben). I was blown away!!! I raced outside and called her on my cell only to receive the sad news that Ben had died back in 83 at the young age of 35!! Some type of cancer. Nevertheless I made arrangements to come up and meet the family. When I arrived they all welcomed me with open arms . Everyone that came by the house to meet me recognized me because I look so much like him. I was happy but sad at the same time. Reason is: happy because I was able to meet 1 brother and 1 sister and a host of cousins and my Aunt. Also, I was given the first picture I ever had of my father. Sad because he was no longer there and I would never have my questions answered. And guess what else...he never told anyone about me...now that really hurt. My Aunt took me to his grave and I felt nothing...empty. I don't hate him because I can't hate someone I don't know. And it's not worth the effort. My Aunt told me that he told her before he died that he had at least 10 children!!! I do know there are two more somewhere here in Florida but I've not met them. My Aunt said that the one sister I have somewhere here in Florida lived with her for a while but when she left they lost contact. The other brother is somewhere in St.Augustine. Perhaps I'll search for them...perhaps. So far I'm the oldest. Good luck in your search and I hope this helped in some way.
    Last edited by ndutime; 12-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ancestry.com! Get you an account and get to searchin!

The biggest research library near you (perhaps on a college campus) would have microfiche of old newspapers and census reports. Go from there and follow the trail of names and dates.

Once you get down to folks under age 50 or so, if you have names check Facebook and Myspace! I've found a lot of "long lost" family members that were around my age on there (I'll be 30 next month).

Wish you the best!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd try both, a quick internet search and ancestry. com. I have found some of my family on there. it does require you pay to do it but i know that it will help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My close relatives can be a bit much to deal with, so I don't need to find any long-lost ones.
    la vida es un carnaval.