Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default had to take down a loc - lint build up.

ugh, after my family basically cancelling on me for a get together, i discovered one of my locs with dangerous lint build up. it couldn't be saved so i cut it. luckily its in my last row of locs.

this is the cut loc..i kept nagging at it with a hair pin to take the lint out and then i realized that i basically weakened the locs integrity

if you look closely, there is also build up in the other loc next to it. this is all lint. and i realize now that lint is a @#$%%^& to get rid of. i dont want to cut the neighboring loc, but it is lint-ridden. what should i do? I'm so upset! i feel like cutting all of my locs now.
    i heard the only thing to do is trim/cut the loc when it has this kind of build up. how upsetting.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you wearing a white jacket or scarf? What"s the cause of the lint? Anyway, maybe you can just take it down without cutting it, clean it out and braid it back up.

Impy! is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to hear you had to cut that loc

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry.

You could always dye it. Yes, it would still be there, but so long as you're washing your hair regularly, it's not like it would be dirty or anything.
    DNA's double helix design - ingenious.
    A spring coil's power & momentum - amazing.
    The gift of nappy hair.....see a pattern emerging? :-)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflylocs View Post
    Are you wearing a white jacket or scarf? What"s the cause of the lint? Anyway, maybe you can just take it down without cutting it, clean it out and braid it back up.
    i have a few scarfs that may be the cause of this. i dont want to cut my loc [stubborn] im thinking of just doing a baking soda treatment and seeing how far that'll take me. i found a way to twist a part of my hair into a neighboring loc. this sucks >:O

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, how'd you get that much lint?? Since the back is prone to lint buildup, perhaps you should check on them and de-lint on a regular basis.

Hope all goes well with the 2nd loc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are in the SAME boat...I literally cut off one from the same area and it was FILLED with lint, there was no coming back. I tried the baking soda and clarifying, but there was no fixing it. I'm also at a loss as to how to remedy the other back ones that are lint riddled. I think I may go the hair coloring route for my sanity at least so I don't see the yucky buildup and get all OCD trying to pick them out.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by animina View Post
    We are in the SAME boat...I literally cut off one from the same area and it was FILLED with lint, there was no coming back. I tried the baking soda and clarifying, but there was no fixing it. I'm also at a loss as to how to remedy the other back ones that are lint riddled. I think I may go the hair coloring route for my sanity at least so I don't see the yucky buildup and get all OCD trying to pick them out.
    im also having a serious case of OCD now...its hard not thinking about it! i think i may also consider coloring for the sake of my sanity as well. :'(

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i just toook a sharpie and masked that nasty lint. wonder how effective this is..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry for this. I have had this problem mainly the lower end of my dreads. If they are embedded like you describe picking it out will only weaken the lock. I started with the ingredients you mentioned and dish washing liquid. What worked for me is apple cider vinegar daily for about a week. I notice some of my locks were weakening and I just trimmed them off because sooner or later they would have broken off anyway. Embedded lint becomes part of your hair and when the apple cider starts working your lock suffers too. Well at least mine did. Now, I make a diligent effort tying my hair up and use very little product in my hair. It is working so far. No matter what as long as they are growing strong they will continue to do so.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast