Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masoesa View Post
    Thanks makes sense.

More questions though. If this is like crocheting and different different patterns why isn't anyone using simple braid or twist patterns?

Some do, locs are started with both braids and twists. Its just a matter of preference regarding the aesthetic of the baby locs and starting method. Using the latch method, the hair looks like locs pretty much from the start, albeit skinny locs until they fully condense. There is also less of a visible demarcation between the starter locs and the new locs growing out if one continues to use the latching method to retighten.

Debe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    Some do, locs are started with both braids and twists. Its just a matter of preference regarding the aesthetic of the baby locs and starting method. Using the latch method, the hair looks like locs pretty much from the start, albeit skinny locs until they fully condense. There is also less of a visible demarcation between the starter locs and the new locs growing out if one continues to use the latching method to retighten.

Debe
    Thanks again.

I am almost ready to start locing. One of the things is that I need to choose is the right method. Twists, two strands that is, would in my opinion be the way because these twists work with your hair and naturally brings out the unique curl pattern of any type of nappy hair. I love twists.

However, twists ravel a lot and especially my hair looks crazy after only a few days. (maybe I am not really good at it) but I am afraid this is not a good option for me because I would need to retighten and maintain often to look decent ( I am quite lazy).

Still, if I could keep my hair looking like twists, I would consider it. I thought Twisty locs had a method too keep micro-locs looking like twists but she got sued and can't work out of her area now. (http://www.twistylocks.com/)

Next best option is braids. I like braids because they make my hair grow fastest and they don't frizz up so bad.

Cons: Braids "straighten" out the curl pattern and some people warned me that starting with braids won't give me nice looking locs because the end would keep looking like a braid for very long and the latched part would be bumpy compared to the braided part.

Any advice?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masoesa, I started with TST with shoulder length 3c/4a hair. I just made sure to band when I washed and tried to keep my hands out of it. What really helped me was to put my hair into updos (which has become more difficult now that my hair is shrinking) Now just four months later they've puffed up nicely and you can't see the pattern anymore, they look like puffy locs. They really are beautiful (even in the "ugly" stage!) and despite the frizz and bumps I get compliments almost daily!

I can't speak on braids though...I've never liked the look of them on me as a style. I have seen some nice locs started with braids, just maybe don't latch so tight.

I'm in here considering whether to switch to latching for a while. I've been retwisting, but when I pulled out my summer clothes it became apparent that I need to hit the gym...hard. I need to be able to wash my hair more often with my workouts. I'm just not sure how that's going to look with my puffy ends.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Thank you for your input MM. I love puffy locs. I guess you'll face the same with re-tightening. The root will look tighter than the rest of the puffy loc but it is actually a good point. I go to the gym too and I hadn't even considered that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh does any one know if Im not able to get this interlocking prcoess the way I want it , am I able to go to a twist on my already formed sister locs to keep em fresh, instead? And how much differrent will they look? Im sure I will do the interlocking Im actually excited about finishing , so pray that they look how I want them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they're sisterlocs, then they'll be too small to be maintained by twisting. The roots won't be big/string enough to withstand maintenance by twisting.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The edges of my hair always need latching before the rest of my hair. Today I did the edges and left the rest. Does anyone do this or just do it all at once?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    The edges of my hair always need latching before the rest of my hair. Today I did the edges and left the rest. Does anyone do this or just do it all at once?

i usually don't do all of my locs. i do the ones that are the loosest. i've done it that way so much that it has become sort of a schedule. there is one all the way in the back that really hurts when it's tightened to much and takes FOR.EVER. to grow, so when i tighten it, it stays tight an painful for a long time; so i never hardly ever tighten that one. i always just leave it basically to freeform.

i find that when i touch my edges up with a tiny crochet hook to put the rogue stray strands back where they belong, i can go much longer without getting that "omg, i HAVE to tighten my locs!!!" feeling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks coalblacklocs!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caprimom View Post
    Yeah, it does look the same in a video. You do split in half in the same direction but the angle that you enter with the tool does change. So I split in half for 6 & 12 but for a 6, I put the tool in at the bottom (where 6 is) and bring the hair up & out and for a 12, I put the tool in at the top (where 12 is) and bring the hair down. When you do it yourself, you'll be able to see the difference but I had the same question that you did lol! I was able to practice on my daughter's head first but I'd try it on a doll baby or something before going in on my own head.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post
    I know what you mean. I was kind of confused about this to. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but its only a problem if you go through the same exact spot twice in the same direction because it will leave a hole. Even if you do, no worries because you can still pull it through the hole in the opposite direction to fix it if it happens.

Try to think about the 4 different directions as you do it and not so much on the hole its self because it can get confusing that way. Using directions for example, If you start North, then the next direction should be East or West, however you want to do it. Never go North, North for example because that is what will create a hole.

I tend to go west, north, east, and end south so it ends up laying down flat. I hope that makes sense. Explaining things are not my strong point!

Whatever way you end up putting the nappy loc tool/finger, it should be going through the two legs of the upside down "V", not the open space.

Notice around the 2:00 mark in the video, she uses her finger to split the hair to create the hole for the loc to go through going in a 4 point rotation. She's not bringing the loc through an already open hole. It sounds so much more complicated than it is! lol! I had to watch several different videos before it clicked for me though.

Thank you so much for your responses, ladies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a question about that. I bought a doll a while ago to practice with a latchhook. I also have some metal yarn needles that I have to adjust a little bit. I'm sure it's 10x times easier than these directions would suggest

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast