Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thread to Maintain Latched Locs II

There are some great links in the first thread found here. Feel free to add on, ask questions, etc...and post them here.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just latched for the 2nd time since starting this set of locs in September. Next time I WILL NOT latch so tightly - owwee!
    My album

password: gemela

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been two weeks since my last latching session and my hair is holding up (miracle?). We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    "Becoming perfect overtime"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm now using the latch method since I restarted my locs. It's holding nicely especially since I wash my hair almost every week
    Natural for the 3rd n last time Sept 13th '10

Ever Happy Nappy

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sad that most of those links are defunct now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can I use the latch hook yet?

Hello Everyone, I am concerned about latching. My locs were started 3 1/2 months ago with the coil method and my hair is very soft. Despite the texture, my hair has begun to lock. Yaaay!!! I have had my hair retightened 2x coiling again, but this month, I decided to try my hand at the latch hook method. I got the hand of it and was pleased, but when my braider/loctician looked at my hair today, she said I was changing the pattern of my locks and they would end up looking tight at the roots and thicker at the ends. I'm wondering if I should stop with the latch hook method for now and continue usuing the coil method until my locs are very mature.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a stupid question - but can you latch the roots & palmroll the length of your locs? Which order should they be done in (latch first then palmroll)? I'm finding that the length of my locs are puffy & frizzy cause I haven't given them any maintenance yet.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsdray View Post
    Hello Everyone, I am concerned about latching. My locs were started 3 1/2 months ago with the coil method and my hair is very soft. Despite the texture, my hair has begun to lock. Yaaay!!! I have had my hair retightened 2x coiling again, but this month, I decided to try my hand at the latch hook method. I got the hand of it and was pleased, but when my braider/loctician looked at my hair today, she said I was changing the pattern of my locks and they would end up looking tight at the roots and thicker at the ends. I'm wondering if I should stop with the latch hook method for now and continue usuing the coil method until my locs are very mature.
    She's right, but it's not a problem. Over time it all evens out and your hair is still locked. I started with TSTs and latched for maintenance...which meant that two strand twist part was thicker than the newer, latched parts...it never bothered me and now at almost six years in it's all uniform (has been uniform since probably the 2 year mark...I'd have to go look at the pics though to be sure).

Same thing would happen if you only twisted the new growth and didn't mess with the rest. The newly twisted part would be thinner looking than the established lock...granted the pattern would be the same but at first glance it can look different.

**My guess: Waiting until your locs are more mature won't stop the pattern change, but it may be less noticeable.**

If you think you'll prefer latching, I'd suggest making the change now. That's the biggest difference, each person's preference.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsFabulous22 View Post
    This may be a stupid question - but can you latch the roots & palmroll the length of your locs? Which order should they be done in (latch first then palmroll)? I'm finding that the length of my locs are puffy & frizzy cause I haven't given them any maintenance yet.

I started with twists and maintained my new growth by latching and never palmrolled the length of my locks. The puffiness and frizziness happens no matter what (yeah, palmrolling will tame it for a bit) so I didn't bother. Sure enough, it all evened out on its own.

Again it's preference. If you feel the need to do something with the length of your locks, then do it. I'm not sure that the order matters. I'd suggest trying both ways (on a couple of different locks) and see which way works best for you.

Maybe search through some of the older threads also...this may have been discussed by others.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alisondra, thank you so much for the feedback, it really helps. I also got feedback from a co-worker who is in agreement with you. Loved seeing your pic on Fotki too. :-)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast