Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh And GAN that video was great,, she really took her time I know know it probaly had a lot to do with how I was interlocking, i may have been half stepping ,, Im gonna give it a another try. but I still wanna know how to inter loc and how to handle the ones I have already accidentially combines shoudl I just cut one head off or do I have to wait?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cut or let it be. This lock was joined, showing over 2 years of growth.... however, now at yr 7 I choose to cut bc there's just too much hair on my head. in the beginning, I liked more fullness-however, my hair was shorter. Its really up to you. But if you cut make sure you understand how to cut and nOT weaken your lock. If it's cut the wrong way, the whole lock can unravel and break off at that junction.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 05-30-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadasah View Post
    ^ That video is really helpful, thanks for posting it. I still have a question, though: in that video, as well as other videos, I can't tell the difference between 6 and 12. It looks like she's splitting the new growth exactly in half and pulling the lock through the middle. I thought you weren't supposed to put a lock through the same hole twice - is that what she's doing?
    I mean, for 9 o'clock/west I can see she's making a hole at the left side of the middle, and I think she's doing the same for 3 o'clock/east on the right side.
    I know what you mean. I was kind of confused about this to. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but its only a problem if you go through the same exact spot twice in the same direction because it will leave a hole. Even if you do, no worries because you can still pull it through the hole in the opposite direction to fix it if it happens.

Try to think about the 4 different directions as you do it and not so much on the hole its self because it can get confusing that way. Using directions for example, If you start North, then the next direction should be East or West, however you want to do it. Never go North, North for example because that is what will create a hole.

I tend to go west, north, east, and end south so it ends up laying down flat. I hope that makes sense. Explaining things are not my strong point!

Whatever way you end up putting the nappy loc tool/finger, it should be going through the two legs of the upside down "V", not the open space.

Notice around the 2:00 mark in the video, she uses her finger to split the hair to create the hole for the loc to go through going in a 4 point rotation. She's not bringing the loc through an already open hole. It sounds so much more complicated than it is! lol! I had to watch several different videos before it clicked for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by anc0180 View Post
    Ok so Im back,, Im in such of a dilemma, I hve me two appts set up.. for a tightening,, but due to unforseen daycare expenses....1000.00 worth,, I can not under any circumstances making either appt,, so Im back at the drawing board,, my locs are extremely fuzzy, and Im so cluessless on how to get that refined look again, I hearing people say try it wet, so I think what Im going to do is try it again and do it all weekend to see if I can do my whole head and actually see the difference, but my qeustion is if I decide to combine them, doo I have to wait til Im ready to tighten them again, and now that thwy are so unkempt they are super fuzzy (which I never had a problem with) i know they say dont use any product but Im tempted too, ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Well right now, they are probably going through the phase of actually locing up. Your hair is REALLY soft so they will be fuzzy but that's ok cuz they are supposed to be fuzzy right now. You can combine them when you want. Its probably going to be easier since you have so much new growth. If you wait until after you tighten them, you won't have much room to combine them. I tried to make sure I could get a full rotation in when I did it so that they would stay together and have less of a chance of coming undone.

I would avoid conditioner right now. Stick to the clarifying shampoos. I know its tempting but since your hair is so soft, you don't want to give it any more reason to unravel because its gonna take you long to do your reti.

Oh And GAN that video was great,, she really took her time I know know it probaly had a lot to do with how I was interlocking, i may have been half stepping ,, Im gonna give it a another try. but I still wanna know how to inter loc and how to handle the ones I have already accidentially combines shoudl I just cut one head off or do I have to wait?
    I wouldn't cut the ones you combined. Just let them be and then as they mature and grow out, you can just cut the extra part off if you want. One mistake I made was that I think I cut the extra part off too early and didn't give them a chance to loc up. Its like they go through a whole other locing phase so they are fuzzy again at the top just like when I first got them done. Its not bad, but I probably should have waited a little bit longer.

For right now, it won't hurt anything for you to leave them as is. Which ones did you combine? The ones in the front?
    Last edited by ~GAN~; 05-30-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadasah View Post
    ^ That video is really helpful, thanks for posting it. I still have a question, though: in that video, as well as other videos, I can't tell the difference between 6 and 12. It looks like she's splitting the new growth exactly in half and pulling the lock through the middle. I thought you weren't supposed to put a lock through the same hole twice - is that what she's doing?
    I mean, for 9 o'clock/west I can see she's making a hole at the left side of the middle, and I think she's doing the same for 3 o'clock/east on the right side.
    Yeah, it does look the same in a video. You do split in half in the same direction but the angle that you enter with the tool does change. So I split in half for 6 & 12 but for a 6, I put the tool in at the bottom (where 6 is) and bring the hair up & out and for a 12, I put the tool in at the top (where 12 is) and bring the hair down. When you do it yourself, you'll be able to see the difference but I had the same question that you did lol! I was able to practice on my daughter's head first but I'd try it on a doll baby or something before going in on my own head.

Edited to add:
    Here's a more recent video about interlocking. He's young so he does a lot of "yo, yo" and fumbling around but he eventually gets around to actually showing you. I was able to bear it because this is how my little brother (23 yr old) talks all the time.
    Last edited by caprimom; 05-30-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gan, ok I got all my stuff together , so Im going to get on this weekend and startI just have to pick out how to begin to make sure Im no redoing ones I already done, and I think that why mine are weakening. but its maybe 4 i combine they are mostly in the back where I couldnt see and it was like three I noticed right after I did it so I was able to fix it, so on a couple I may have done the north north , so should I wait a while to try to do those or just go ahead and just make sure the rotation is right this time? AlsoI have a couple that are really weak like I can give it a tug and the loc will come out and I will have about 2 inches of regular hair, should I try to retighten those or just let the loc go and recreate a new one? I think this will be the last of the questions until I actually get in this head of mine. But I really appreciatte all the responses they are very helpful

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    cut or let it be. This lock was joined, showing over 2 years of growth.... however, now at yr 7 I choose to cut bc there's just too much hair on my head. in the beginning, I liked more fullness-however, my hair was shorter. Its really up to you. But if you cut make sure you understand how to cut and nOT weaken your lock. If it's cut the wrong way, the whole lock can unravel and break off at that junction.
    "How to cut" - is that addressed in your book (page number please)? I've got some married locs (been braidlockin since May of last year and haven't been too good about popping regularly ) that I'd like to separate (and will probably need scissors).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post

What is the difference between this and sisterlocks?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gan, ok I got all my stuff together , so Im going to get on this weekend and startI just have to pick out how to begin to make sure Im no redoing ones I already done, and I think that why mine are weakening. but its maybe 4 i combine they are mostly in the back where I couldnt see and it was like three I noticed right after I did it so I was able to fix it, so on a couple I may have done the north north , so should I wait a while to try to do those or just go ahead and just make sure the rotation is right this time? AlsoI have a couple that are really weak like I can give it a tug and the loc will come out and I will have about 2 inches of regular hair, should I try to retighten those or just let the loc go and recreate a new one? I think this will be the last of the questions until I actually get in this head of mine. But I really appreciatte all the responses they are very helpful
    If you have already done them, I would just leave them alone until the next time you do your reti. For the weak ones, I would combine those. I had the same problem in the back and on the edges so to "save" them, I combined them into a stronger loc, sometimes 2 or 3 of them, to make one thicker loc. You could let it go and make a new loc if you want to, I've done that before as well.

If you went through the same hole twice, its no biggie. Just let them grow out. I'm wondering since yours are so small and new if the hole won't close up on its own or if it will even be noticeable after awhile. If you have enough new growth left, I would just continue on with your rotation and go from there.

If you have any more questions, you know its no problem! Text me if you need help or call. I'll try to help as much as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by masoesa View Post
    The name, the tool, and the technique. Its very similar.

9. Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masoesa View Post
    I second Gan, the differences are minor enough to be irrelevant. The biggest differences, I'd say is that with SLs the (1) ends are back combed rather than twisted, and (2) SLs have a standardised grid size.

The YT showed a 2 point latching 'pattern', there are various 'patterns', 2, 4 & reverse 4 being the ones I hear of most.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    I second Gan, the differences are minor enough to be irrelevant. The biggest differences, I'd say is that with SLs the (1) ends are back combed rather than twisted, and (2) SLs have a standardised grid size.

The YT showed a 2 point latching 'pattern', there are various 'patterns', 2, 4 & reverse 4 being the ones I hear of most.

DeBe
    Thanks makes sense.

More questions though. If this is like crocheting and different different patterns why isn't anyone using simple braid or twist patterns?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast