Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Adoptive mom needs advice

I am an adoptive mom of a fabulous 9 month old baby girl. We adopted her at birth and now I need advice on how to condition and properly care for her hair. (the adoption agency doesn't help you with this lol) It was actually funny as her birth momís first comment was "girl, I'm going to get a kick out of seeing her hair in the photos you send as how is a white girl going to do black hair?" I told her she was right but I'd learn so can someone tell me what products are the best as our daughter has lost a lot of her hair around the back part of her head and the lower portion is extremely dry? We'll take any advice you are willing to give as we want her hair to loook good. Thanks so much and God Bless.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello You can find some good advice in the Napptural Children and Parenting Board about how to take care of your baby's hair. Thank you so much for not taking the "easy" way out and slapping chems on her hair. The best of luck to you

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research.- Sherlock

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ladybaritone View Post
    Hello You can find some good advice in the Napptural Children and Parenting Board about how to take care of your baby's hair. Thank you so much for not taking the "easy" way out and slapping chems on her hair. The best of luck to you
    I totally agree with this statement. It warms my heart to know that you are a mother who is willing to learn and try.

Good Luck, I know you are going to do well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my neck of the woods (Texas), you can contact your local state family and protective services center and ask about your local cross racial haircare seminars that many foster home parents and other guardians attend to learn how to care for afrotextured hair and what products to buy.

As for your baby's hair, any products with bee's wax is bad. It's just dry out her hair terribly. You can always just a mini spray bottle with water and a wee bit of good ol' fashion castor oil to help detangle and moisturize her hair. Your baby's hair always needs moisture. Also, please use a wide tooth comb to detangle her hair.

As for styling options, you can always go on Amazon.com and read the book reviews on caring for black hair of children and see which books you might want to pick up at your local book store.
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, dont do too much tight pulling into pony tails, if her hair is dry try some olive oil hair products, but only use a dime size amount, and just let it grow I have a 1 year old girl, and i braid her hair in big braids at night sometimes, and take them down in the morning for fuller, bigger puffs and ponytails.
    http://publick.fotki.com/Jeanette04/ Updated 11/11/2010
    Jeanette Ford-facebook me people!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dlynn- you are an awesome mom looking out for your baby girl already. It's going to be so awesome when the one who gave her up starts asking you questions about how to take care of her own hair after she sees your pics. There was a link going around about two white ladies who have adopted black girls and they hook those girls hair up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make sure her hair is wet..with conditioner that gives slip.

and dont use a fine tooth comb on her hair. just cuz it works on your hair dun mean its gonna work for hers.

thats all the advice i have to give u
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Nappturality!!!

There are 2 wonderful moms who stand out to me most when it comes to offering great advice on maintaining black children's hair. One is a member here who has a youtube page. Here's her page Cherish My Daughters. The other mom is a white mom who adopted black daughters. Here's her page. Styles By Katelynylyn. They both also have blogs. When I tell you they are amazing and offer a wealth of knowledge, I promise that's not even giving them enough credit. Good luck.

Home Sweet Home

G.Eve is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admirable. :-) I hope you get all the info you need here. All I could add is try your best to use natural products for her hair i.e. the likes of coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, basically things you would find in a food store. Read the ingredients in products(on this site there is a list on chemicals that are bad for hair.) Buy like hair bands n hair clips that are smoth to touch so they dont tug on her hair. You tube has lots on info too. Mostly keep the good work up. Research, research, research and all the best for you, your lil gal n ur beautiful family.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for all the advice. I've only used a wide tooth pick for her hair, as even my hair can't be tamed with a comb. (lol) I'll look at the other sites mentioned and again I appreciate the replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast