Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Mini Twists: I feel like giving up

Around the summer of 2010 I tried to challenge myself to wearing my natural 4a/b hair in twist styles for the rest of the year. It ended up lasting less than two weeks.

I had two problems:
    1) After one or two days the twists lost that "fresh" look and just laid flat and limp on my head
    2) I have an itchy scalp, and after scratching my head the roots started to look frizzy and unkempt

I consulted several YouTube videos and natural hair forums, but nothing seems to take. Here are the products/methods I have tried but failed.

For twisting my hair:
    -ORS Twist and Lock Gel
    -Shea Butter
    - Palmer's Coconut Oil Holding Creme
    - ORS Twist and Lock Gel/Shea Butter/Honey/EVOO mix

For maintaining the twists:
    -Wrapping them around my head (securing with bobby pins)
    -Putting the twists in big braids/twists
    -Curling them with rollers/perm rods

This past Sunday I decided to give it another go and put my hair in mini/medium size twists using only eco styler olive oil styling gel. While I was a little dissapointed at how much the twists shrank up, all in all, the end result wasn't so bad. However, 3 days have passed and I'm already starting to run into some problems.

I spray my hair with an aloe vera juice/water mixture in the morning to freshen the twists up, but the ends are starting to loosen up and unravel. Is there something I can put on the ends alone (like shea butter) to prevent this? I was hoping to leave these twist in for 3 to 4 weeks, but now I'm not even sure they'll look good tomorrow.

A part of me wants to just give up on twisting my natural hair, but another part is determined to make it work. Does anyone know of any mixtures involving eco styler olive oil gel that are good for twists? I can't afford to buy any new products right now, so I gotta work with what I've got. If any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand wanted the fresh look of twists to last but depending on the texture of your hair you may be fighting a losing battle. I have one daughter whose hair fuzzes up within a day NO MATTER what style I give her, what products I use and how meticulous she is about covering her head at night. We both had to accept that this is what her hair does. When I do certain styles I just expect it to be fuzzy and it doesn't bother either of us anymore. When she wears her hair out in a puff or fro the fuzz is no big deal because it's supposed to be fuzzy.

My advice to you is accept the fuzz or kiss the twists goodbye. It's OK if you don't do twists. There are plenty of other protective style you can try.

Find something that works with the fuzz. I'm saying this because it looks like you've already tried many of the products and methods that people will suggest and it didn't work.
    Last edited by NeverGiveup; 01-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Challenges forum. They have twist out and protective style challenges going. Maybe they can provide some info.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the itchy scalp:

try to make sure you don't get product on your scalp, also you may want to add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo (not the whole bottle, but add it to a little bit in a separate container) next time you wash and see if that helps.....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveup View Post
    I can understand wanted the fresh look of twists to last but depending on the texture of your hair you may be fighting a losing battle. I have one daughter whose hair fuzzes up within a day NO MATTER what style I give her, what products I use and how meticulous she is about covering her head at night. We both had to accept that this is what her hair does. When I do certain styles I just expect it to be fuzzy and it doesn't bother either of us anymore. When she wears her hair out in a puff or fro the fuzz is no big deal because it's supposed to be fuzzy.

My advice to you is accept the fuzz or kiss the twists goodbye. It's OK if you don't do twists. There are plenty of other protective style you can try.

Find something that works with the fuzz. I'm saying this because it looks like you've already tried many of the products and methods that people will suggest and it didn't work.
    I was going to come in here and say something similar.

Also, I think sometimes that what our hair looks like on camera isn't what it really looks like IRL. I posted on about my mini twists today and I think they look way less fuzzy on the camera than they really are. I don't think there is a single natural person who's hair doesn't frizz. It really is just a matter of how long until it starts. If you really want them, perhaps you could make the time to re-twist your perimeter every few days...HTH Hang in there and you'll find what works for you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my dec batch of mini twists, I:

1- moisturized w aloe juice mixture on damp hair
    2- brushed each section w a denman prior to twisting then I
    3- started the section by braiding first, then twisting the remainder

I noticed my hair looked fresh longer than usual. I did moisturize my hair periodically w the aloe mixture using a spritz bottle not a squirt. Misting my ends not jet squirting the ends seems to help/prevent unraveling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really can only get a week and a half out of my twists. I twist on dry hair and i dont rewet in the mornings. I may spray some oil sheen, but the water makes my hair frizz up worse. I honestly just retwist my hair along the hairline and along wherever my part is. If i keep the twists any longer, my hair tangles horribly.

ziyiazi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the itchy scalp, I second the Tea tree oil.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanting to check back in and see how the OP is doing? My twists are now 10 days old and I confess, I started co-washing them after about two days because I too had itchy scalp. I have wet my twists daily now for about 8 days and this is what they look like...

I am loving them still. I like the look of washed twists better than dry elongated twists. They lookmore like a regular W-n-G than twists. KWIM? I hope you are doing well OP. Let us know how you are coming along with your twists.
    Last edited by apb1172; 01-17-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do tiny twists all the time. My hair fuzzes quick because it is fine. It also is flat by the morning. There is really nothing you can do about the fuzzes because that is the nature of our hair. I do recommend you not load your hair up with a bunch of products which can be the cause of your scalp itching. Each morning, I steamed my twists in the shower to make them plump back up. At night I put them in 4 loose ponytails and put on my silk scarf. HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast