Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HimmysLocz View Post
    Girl me, too. I use to hear, "You talk white.", on a regular. Now I just hear..."When you talk, you pronounce every syllable." I guess black foke can't speak "good" English.
    I know right. Hot mess gurl.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post
    By the time I had returned to Africa and subsequently to the US where people were bound to tell me black people should do this and not that, and are this I already had a solid core...
    Generalisation but I think where black folks are raised in a majority black culture e.g Caribbean/Africa there might be less of a 'we are under seige' mentality. No that those places don't have black folk who think whiteness is next to godliness syndrome. I've said this before, if white folks/culture gets up my nose too much I can jump on a plane and 'go home' since I am a first generation immigrant.

Give it another 400 years, consider our American cousins where one is living with the descandants of ones former oppressors (for want of a better word) and it must be a different mindset. We have it here in the UK from a different angle that of immigrant rather than 400 year old 'neighbour'. And as Lewislover pointed out living outside of the urban areas where most black people live gives another perspective.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2011 - The year of the PANK
    I have good hair, its never been sent to the naughty corner...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Denny; Today at 07:42 AM.

Dang.. I LUV THIS COMMENT!! I can't wait to use it. Hope u don't mind

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well my answer is simple. It's because you like yourself inside and out, you like YOU (at least, that is how I feel about being black. I like me)!

On another note though (and my intention here is not to deride anyones personal experiences, as our life stories do shape us into who we are), I am always taken back by the explanations of shame that point to black people being uneducated or crass. It has always been the opposite for me. I am so much more influenced by educated, poised, talented black people, yes they too exists. Growing up they were only few in the media, but those glimpses brought me such joy. That's the lenses through which I see myself. I seek to emulate the positive rich heritage of black people ( as opposed to shirking the negative with self hate or separation).

I see success among us in the political arena (not just barak btw), in literature, in music, in churches, in industry...entrepeneurs, artists, teachers, professors, researchers, bankers, you name it, we are represented (sometime few in numbers, but we are there)...and I think, that right there is the stuff we as a people are made of and capable of.

I guess I spend less time being ashamed of the negative stuff and trying to find ways to separate myself from it (physically or otherwise). there is simple way to much good stuff about my black heritage and future to spend my time that way.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinamin2 View Post
    2011 - The year of the PANK
    I have good hair, its never been sent to the naughty corner...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Denny; Today at 07:42 AM.

Dang.. I LUV THIS COMMENT!! I can't wait to use it. Hope u don't mind
    Use away! (all copyright fees can be sent to P.O Box 1234 )

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.

SarahJ is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Being happy with the skin I'm in,overcoming the obstacles.

I'm proud of my blackness(:
    I mean sometimes I struggle because I have a lightskinned complexion and have greenish hazel eyes everyone ASSUMES that I am mixed cuz of the complexion of my skin.its very aggravating.ha. I was raised by caucasian family and still am being raised by them,so Id say white is all I know,i want to know more about my black roots.so when I was little I thought when I grew up I would turn white,but now that Im older I know Im not finna turn white and learning to love the skin Im in and when I turn 18.Im going to embrace my biological side and african american roots. I will say,its hard not having people around you that look the same,but you gotta manage.you know.

Oh buddy,I love MY HAIR! and how crazy it is. I hate how most black women have STRAIGHT HAIR,its like they dont want to embrace their hair. Its like they want to have barbie/white gurl hair,which is dumb.

Lol,I know this sounds stupid.but i also love my booty and I get it from my black side(: cuz nobody in my white family who adopted me has a booty.ha(;

Thats a wrap.(;

SarahJ is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HimmysLocz View Post
    Girl me, too. I use to hear, "You talk white.", on a regular. Now I just hear..."When you talk, you pronounce every syllable." I guess black foke can't speak "good" English.
    I can relate to you and Kelly Von(:
    I'm the only black girl in my high school and in my family(adopted-white fambam).
    I use to get you act white and talk white by white people n black people and I got called INSIDE OUT OREO(I HATED IT). It was so ANNOYING. They assume just cuz you're black you gotta talk ghetto or act ghetto. black is beautiful,be you and not who people want you to be.(: I just learned that and am using it in my daily life,so what people say won't get me down. Yes,I am black and yes, I was put up for adoption and given to a white family.I know God,did this for a reason,so in time I'll figure out the reason and learn to like it,hopefully. As for that, black people who say Im not black enough or dont act black are IGNORANT and I shouldnt pay any mind to them(:
    cuz,what you see is what you get(:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's right lil sis. ^^ No matter what complexion or eye color you have you are a sista! People need to just get over it and deal with it.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
    As for that, black people who say Im not black enough or dont act black are IGNORANT and I shouldnt pay any mind to them(:
    cuz,what you see is what you get(:
    That's the right attitude - who made such ignorant folks Head and sole committee member of the Black council of Earth???

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarah J, two thumbs up. Miserable people will always dissect and pick you a part so you might as well go ahead and be you so YOU can be happy.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast