Thread: Coffee Anyone?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely love my coffee. I use a French Press at work since I don't like the community coffee maker. At home my coffee maker makes coffee at 620 M-F and 830 on Sat and Sunday.
    www.youtube.com/thecurlycamshow

Goals: BSL by November 2011 & 4-Workouts/week

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video made the french press look so easy to do and I'm sure the coffee is excellent. Coffee shops are a dime a dozen around here (especially Starbucks, ick), but actually only a few make a really good cup of plain coffee.
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm leaning towards the French press because...it's so low tech and doesn't required any new mechanical/electric devices. I already have a stove and microwave to heat the water.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

French presses are quite easy. No more taxing than any other method, and the results are

YUMALICIOUS

particularly if you're a serious coffee drinker (stronger, but smooth and not burnt/overbrewed tasting). I my press.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to post what I have. Hang on let me see if I can find online...

OK, I have this one Soul Rebel's French Press in Chrome.

I had a couple of Bodum glass presses before and they were great BUT a) glass absorbs heat so if you don't heat it before making your coffee you will get lukewarm coffee, and b ) they will eventually crack and/or break on you. I've had the above Stainless Steel press for ... man I don't even know at least 6 years now... the handle came off (I also use if for my regular camping trips so it gets used a bit more hardcore than other people's might) but it still works great And being stainless steel it doesn't add any taste to the coffee (the way other metals might) and the coffee stays hot longer.

French Presses aren't expensive at all. The coffee can be (it's better if you use whole beans and ground them fresh OR if you go to a good bean store and ask for them ground for French Press), but I got my actual press for $26 . The Bodums range anywhere from $15-$30 or so.
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 02-03-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: steel not steal
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batyah View Post
    Is a French press suppose to be better than a regular drip coffee maker?

Yes, definitely. You can really taste the difference. I'll still use my coffeemaker in a pinch, but 99% of the time I hit my press.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'll represent the regular drip coffemaker. Cheap and works well. I thought about getting one of those that brewed directly into a coffee mug but I figured for the rare time that I do have visits it would be useful. And since I mix in hot chocolate powder to make a moka, there's no need to go after the extra flavour you'd get from a French press, I just get good quality coffee from the get go.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my Keurig!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    With a French press, it's said to produce a full bodied cup of coffee since the ground coffee is sitting directly in the hot water and steeping. This is supposed to release the most true coffee flavor.

Here's a video showing the process. They come in different sizes from a one cup to a large version like in the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    Yes, definitely. You can really taste the difference. I'll still use my coffeemaker in a pinch, but 99% of the time I hit my press.
    Thanks for posting that video Chacha!! It was helpful and it made using a French look easy!! Hmmm, I may consider getting one. I think I've seen them at TJ Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    French presses are quite easy. No more taxing than any other method, and the results are

YUMALICIOUS

particularly if you're a serious coffee drinker (stronger, but smooth and not burnt/overbrewed tasting). I my press.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to post what I have. Hang on let me see if I can find online...

OK, I have this one Soul Rebel's French Press in Chrome.

I had a couple of Bodum glass presses before and they were great BUT a) glass absorbs heat so if you don't heat it before making your coffee you will get lukewarm coffee, and b ) they will eventually crack and/or break on you. I've had the above Stainless Steel press for ... man I don't even know at least 6 years now... the handle came off (I also use if for my regular camping trips so it gets used a bit more hardcore than other people's might) but it still works great And being stainless steel it doesn't add any taste to the coffee (the way other metals might) and the coffee stays hot longer.

French Presses aren't expensive at all. The coffee can be (it's better if you use whole beans and ground them fresh OR if you go to a good bean store and ask for them ground for French Press), but I got my actual press for $26 . The Bodums range anywhere from $15-$30 or so.
    Soul, I can tell you're a true coffee drinker. Your french press is all fancy n stuff!!

Do you ladies use cream in your coffee or are you all like my Dad and Grandma who drink their's straight balck.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batyah View Post
    Soul, I can tell you're a true coffee drinker. Your french press is all fancy n stuff!!

Do you ladies use cream in your coffee or are you all like my Dad and Grandma who drink their's straight balck.
    I am indeed. I am a coffee nut!

I prefer my coffee with cream (I'm veg so I'll use either coconut creamer or soy creamer), but I've grown to be able to tolerate it black if that's the best option. What I cannot do is drink it without sugar. It's bitter to me that way. I need at least a wee bit of sugar to cut it a bit. (but I don't like it super sweet, dessert, Frappaccino-like. In fact, I completely disdain flavored coffee... I'd rather skip it than drink flavored.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was always a tea drinker but my mother in law and boss always make coffee for me so I started drinking...I only like flavoured though.

I wanted a coffee maker for when mil came to visit and came across a Cuisinart Grind and Brew for 75% off plus a coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond...bloody marvelous!

Now we order coffee from Boca Java.
    http://quileutewolfpack.com/

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast