Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for writers: do you ever write a piece that has no people of color in it? Why or why not?
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could win this poetry contest I entered. If I did, I'd have to go to the ceremony in Georgia, which would be awesome! But I don't think I'd have enough funds for a train/plane ticket...I think the contest allows people to post a video of themselves reading the poem, so maybe I could do that. But dang, I would still love to go...

Gotta keep cranking out the poems and submitting them.
    Loc Updates! http://public.fotki.com/cher79/locs-part-2/

Last chemical fire cream November 2002. I transitioned and clipped the remaining p.ermed ends in April 2004.

Locs taken down and restarted. Twists put in 4/5/09.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    Question for writers: do you ever write a piece that has no people of color in it? Why or why not?
    i've written stories where ethnicity isnt specified. when i do it's because it's not something necessary for the character descriptions or motivations.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very long story short: My first major work (about 30 pages, written at age 10) had no POC in it.

My second major work (approximately 60 pages, written around age 11) also had no POC in it. I showed it to my mother, who read it and then asked me if there were POC in it. I honestly hadn't thought about it so I named the first character who came to mind, who happened to be the villain. She said calmly, "Okay," and handed it back to me. That was all she needed to say.

My third major work (approximately 108 pages, written at age 12) had a black protagonist, but everyone else was white.

Keep in mind this was the 1970s...and although I grew up in a very pro-black household, just about all the media I was ingesting, including the many books I was reading, was full of white folks.

It wasn't until I entered middle school and started really questioning that that I started writing about black people pretty much exclusively.

I didn't start a story with a white protagonist until almost 30 years later and rather than question it, I just went with it. Since then I've attempted a second one and in both cases it was like: They showed up at the door white! It didn't make sense to make them anything else! *shrug*
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of my current works are completed. That said...

I have several pieces where race isn't mentioned or even hinted at. However I have one where race is a factor in the story. The characters' backgrounds will definitely be discussed.

Your question got me thinking though. I ought to try being specific about certain characters' ethnicities and see what happens.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really can't wait to see where this story goes.. I never understood it when authors would say that the story "comes" to them, but now I'm living it.
    Self-Love Coach :: Middle School Principal :: Mama :: Wife :: Author :: Black Girl Magic :: Queer :: Priestess:: Beyhive :: Head Queen Bee

Insta | Facebook | Website | Twitter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get so easily thrown off my game by unexpected criticism. It usually takes me a while to digest and pick up the pen again... any suggestions?

It's not any criticism it's when I don't expect it...le sigh! I haven't written in weeks since i went to the writer's conference in March...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeDCoil View Post
    i get so easily thrown off my game by unexpected criticism. It usually takes me a while to digest and pick up the pen again... any suggestions?

It's not any criticism it's when I don't expect it...le sigh! I haven't written in weeks since i went to the writer's conference in March...
    criticism when you're not ready for it can be distracting but i guess you can protect yourself by not sharing your stuff unless its complete, or you've done all you can? i hope you pick up your pen one of these days

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The time has come to step things up. I had a great meeting the other day. And I look forward to my next appointment.

But really. I need to remain motivated to write even when no one is expecting to see my work.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

***ATTENTION WRITERS***

Submissions for short stories, essays and poetry: http://themaliterarysociety.com/submissions.html
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast