Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godsygirl View Post
    There is something said for letting your hair and scalp breathe. Don't panic, but I'd go see a dermatologist. There are so many reasons this could happen I.e. Tension, fungi,etc.

If you're able, go see a professional. It may be something very simple. I hope it is.
    Hang in there...
    Thanks for the advice...it is definitely the rubbing of the weave..! i honestly do not know how stupid I could have been not to wear a cap and sleep with it. I think the back of my head is fragile to begin with and that was just too much stress on it. I washed my hair one a week so my scalp is healthy, it rarely itches....like once a month at most. But definitely will be letting it breath for sure.

cutenapj is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ksuccess View Post
    Coilycurly- I sooo agree. you shouldn't feel that you have to wear your wig. Not for perception or styling. It should be nothing more than an accesory like a hat or scarf.

Godysgirl- I have to agree seeing a dermatoogist may be a great start because it may be an issue that is more complex than just wearing wigs. A professional can at least diagnose and let you know the next best steps for you.

I also wanted to reiterate something that others have said. NEVER wear your wig to bed. If you still have a pressing need to wear you wig for the look at work, take it off as soon as you get in the car. Allow your hair to get some air, sunlight and relax without being covered.

Part of the napptural journey is embracing YOUR hair for what it is. You may not have a perm, and may be deep conditioning but the most important part is taking care of your hair. I wore wigs for a while because I didn't see that I was beautiful without it. Now my husband wonders why I ever wore one (go figure). People at work will be okay. They will notice the change in your hair the first week and forget about it after that. You have to be confident in how you look. Check out natural stylists in your area. They may be able to hook up a style that you haven't thought of. Maybe that is your start to truly being nappturally you.
    Thank you very much for the advice

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cutenapj View Post
    Yes, that's a good idea....except I cannot at the moment. It has nothing to do with any esteem issues, as my wigs are all short afros, but ummmm I am in an all white part of town (and law school), I do not know any hair dressers (moved for school), cannot do ANY hair style, except for basic rough cornrows after I DC and my hair is too long right now for wash and gos and I live in one of the coldest provinces in Canada. So ummm no that is DEFINITELY not an option. I guess I will try wearing wraps or something. I would learn hairstyles but again I am in my articling apps process and barely have the time to play around with my hair.
    Thank
    When I read your post it sadden my heart because we as African American women are put in the position of sacrificing the health of our hair in order to fit in our environment. We should be able to wear our natural hair without fear of discrimination. My heart goes out to you I do understand your position, but I would say the heck with it and save my hair and sport my natural.
    "Learning How to Love Myself the way God Created Me Has Been a Freedom, Confidence, and Therapy Like Never Before"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567