Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default By 2014, Blacks Won't Be D.C. Majority

Washington D.C. use to be referred to as "Chocolate City..

By 2014, Blacks Won't Be D.C. Majority: Analyst

New research suggests that the nation’s capital isn’t what it used to be

Updated 1:00 PM EST, Mon, Feb 14, 2011

[IMG]http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/410*273/washingtondcskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Washington isn’t what it used to be -- mainly because the people that live here now are a lot richer.
    The Washington Post recently reported the results of new research by the Brookings Institution. It found that from 2000 to 2009, the District gained 39,000 households with incomes of $75,000 or higher. During that same period, the city lost 37,600 households with incomes of $50,000 or less.
    According to the Washington Post, these numbers refer to a “job market that is creating tens of thousands of high-paid and high skilled positions, but hemorrhaging lower level ones.”
    It also seems there’s been a shift with the city’s ethnicity. According to the Brookings Institution research, the city’s proportion of black residents dropped from 59.4 percent to 52.7 percent, while the proportion of white residents grew from 27.8 percent to 33.3 percent.

Benjamin Orr, a research analyst at Brookings's Metropolitan Policy Program took these numbers one-step further. He told the Washington Post "I forecast that by 2014, African Americans would no longer be the majority in the District."

All this extra income isn’t a bad thing for the city. According to the Washington Post, the increase in affluent households means more tax revenue, and more money being spent at high-end stores and restaurants. That’s good news for a city that’s trying to fill a $440 million budget deficit.
    One reason for this could be that many of the new jobs being created are high-paying, high-skilled jobs.
    John McClain, deputy director of the Center for Regional Analysis at George Mason University tells the Washington Post that the District gained 64,000 jobs between 2000 and 2009. Many of those jobs were for high-skilled workers with the government and professional services.
    So what are city leaders to do? According to the Washington Post, the D.C. Council is considering a proposal to strengthen job training programs and a requirement for city contractors to hire residents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe now DC can get taxation WITH representation???
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a problem? Black people are choosing to move away.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lived in DC most of my life except for the last ten years, and what is really happening is that alot of people who don't make a certain income, have been forced out. Rent and houses has skyrockeded in DC in the last 8 years or so.

When my parents first lived in DC it was mostly white and eventually the majority became black, and DC became known as "Chocolate City".

Now it's a reversal of history repeating itself it seems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That happens in almost every major metropolitan city. Every 15-20 yrs the population is "recycled".
    Satan TEMPTS you to bring out your worst, but GOD TESTS you to bring out your best!!!

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm from Alexandria and the same thing that is happening to DC is also happening to Alexandria, VA (Alexandria is just a 10 minute drive to DC). My grandfather and grandmother bought a town house in Old Town Alexandria in the 30s for around $4,000. The house sold for over $350,000. Not many AA in that area can afford a house going for that amount (and it is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath home by the way)? Guess what skin tone WAS able to buy it? The city is now knocking down more low income homes and rebuilding to make town homes going for (starting) $500,000. They've reserved a small percentage to low income people...guess what the rent starts at...$1,650. What in duh hail?
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where dey goin'?

I think no matter what there will always be quite the number of "blacks" in D.C.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn View Post
    Where dey goin'?
    P.G. County for one....I lived in D.C. from 1988 - 2004 and between 2000 and 2004, just about everyone I knew who owned a house in the city moved to Bowie, Lanham, Upper Marlboro, etc. They got a lot more house for their money, so it made sense to them...
    Challenge Yourself.
    My Fotki: Becoming Natural Password: AuNaturel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its what I like to call 'reverse white flight.'

It's becoming more and more desirable to live in cities. It's happening all over the country.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn View Post
    Where dey goin'?

I think no matter what there will always be quite the number of "blacks" in D.C.
    "Deys" are "goin" backs to de sububs, where de publick tranpoor taton an de subway trains ain't goin reech.

Now, the schools in DC will improve too, because where there wasn't any money before for books, and supplies, salaries, etc., will suddenly be "FOUND".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast