Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Any alopecia survivors?

I am currently suffering from traction alopecia at the sides that looks similar to male pattern baldness. I have been rubbing glycerine and Boundless tresses on the spots to promote growth for at least a month now and so far I haven't seen any results. After taking a close look at my scalp, in some spots I see very sparse, thin hair and in others there are no follicles. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed Rogaine for women, but how can that work on scarred tissue with no hair follicles? I researched information on Rogaine and found that it doesn't really help so I ended up never using it and didn't even bother to waste my money. I would like to know anything that can help. I am afraid that I would be bald in these spots forever and I just cant deal with this anymore. Anybody who has went through something like this and has had success with a product please let me know. I can't help but to cry because I could have prevented this but I was just too stubborn to stop getting my hair braided and pressed before it was too late.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you are going through this. Did your dermatologist tell you that you didn't have any hair follicles in that area?

Rogaine has a proven track record in certain cases. Why are you against using Rogaine when you are so willing to use some magical (unproven) product? You are spending money in either situation.

Suggestions:
    1. Stop all braiding and stressful hairstyles.
    2. Practice good health practices like good nutrition, drink a lot of water, reduce stress, and take vitamin supplements as needed.
    3. Do scalp massages in the affected areas to stimulate natural blood flow.
    4. Do a search here on NP for Moe's oil and castor oil. I'm not a big believer in topicals, but if you feel like you need to use something, try these.

Hope things get better for you. (((HUGS)))

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I went to the dermatologist about a year ago and she told me that I have broken hairs. But when I look at my scalp, the scalp area is smooth, which pretty much looks like permanent scarring.

I read somewhere that Rogaine doesn't really work and if you do get results, you will have to keep using the product to prevent the current hairs from falling out. So, I am worried about that.

I will try the Jamaican Black castor oil. I used regular castor oil and it did nothing for the spots. Thanks for your help

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to give it at least six months before your get a result. My hairdresser recommends the product line from Hairobics. Google them.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To know for sure if the follicles are destroyed, you need to get a biopsy. If the follicles are destroyed, from what I understand, that's the end of that. But if not, you can re-stimulate them using products. So I guess if I were you, in the interest of not wasting money, time, or effort, I'd get the biopsy.

Like you, I suffer from pretty severe traction alopecia at my right temple. I keep my hair very short now but it will be more of a concern of mine should I decide to grow it out. Best of luck to you.
    Where there's a will, there's a way (my blog about living naturally and simply, mothering, and homemaking)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tea tree oil worked for my alopecia! Hair grew out in that spot in a month! But you have to mix it with a carrier oil like olive,etc. Never use tea tree alone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a scarring type alopecia (CCCA), and the dermatologist has told me to use the men's Rogaine (5%) in order to maintain the hair I have. I was diagnosed with a biopsy. That is the only way to determine the type of alopecia you have. If it is a scarring alopecia (which is what it sounds like it could be from your description) it can be a progressive situation causing more (eventually all) follicles to be lost. Try to find a dermatologist specializing in hair loss, as there are different ways to treat different conditions. Once you are diagnosed, you will need to be willing to trust that your dermatologist is trying to help you save the hair you have, and be open to the treatment suggested. I feel I still have hair at all due to my dermatologist's treatment plan.
    Last edited by PatB2121; 08-02-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: changed something for clarity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently having the same problem and both of the dermatologists I went to only looked at my scalp to tell me what I have. I have been in contact with a clinic in Cali to discuss other options like Hair restoration surgery. Has anyone tried that. I have a bald spot in the top and thin hair in the front. The funny thing is that sometimes the hair in front starts growing and thickening, then it will stop. I was treated with shots before and I think that's what initiated the thickening of my sides and some light growth, but every time I start them I have to stop for a long period of time, usually because of work. I feel so unbeautiful now, and am willing to try the surgery.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown001 View Post
    I am currently having the same problem and both of the dermatologists I went to only looked at my scalp to tell me what I have. I have been in contact with a clinic in Cali to discuss other options like Hair restoration surgery. Has anyone tried that. I have a bald spot in the top and thin hair in the front. The funny thing is that sometimes the hair in front starts growing and thickening, then it will stop. I was treated with shots before and I think that's what initiated the thickening of my sides and some light growth, but every time I start them I have to stop for a long period of time, usually because of work. I feel so unbeautiful now, and am willing to try the surgery.
    Hey, I studied a little more on the condition I have. My follicles are indeed dead and I no longer put heavy extensions on my hair and I NEVER EVER WILL. Even tough I stopped, my scalp still feels the soreness and pain whenever I try to comb the front of my hair. If you look at your scalp you can tell the difference between the affected area and the normal areas. The affected area is either a reddish color or the same color as your forehead, meaning bald. Or the follicle hairs look very thin and wispy. A healthy scalp is whiter or paler and has follicles. To be certainly sure, you have to get a biopsy from the derm. If you see your hair thickening back then you have hope. Unfortunately for me, I am still losing hair and experiencing pain in the surrounding area. Nothing is ever going to change that.

As for the hair restoration surgery, make sure you get a well known and reputable surgeon to do it. Research as much as I can and also make sure you do not have keloid type skin. If you do have keloid type skin then the surgeon would have to do a sample and test to see if your tissue from the scar would grow. I will not be getting the surgery because of this reason, unfortunately. I wish you the best in your endeavors and I hope you get positive results.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I specializes in hair replacement and if you need to talk with me feel free.. hair restoration I would suggest that to be your last option because from past experiences with clients it hasnt been a lasting success. Some clients are getting the injections and even with Rogaine once you stop the problem starts back. You may want to consider something thats nonsurgical hair replacement. If you dont have any follicles left theres little to no chance the hair will grow back however there are laser treatments that help stimulate the hair follicles.
    [url="http://www.youtube.com/yoflynn2000"]My Youtube Channel[/url]
    [url="http://www.naturallynewbie.blogspot.com"]Naturally Newbie Blog[/url]
    [url="http://www.threadgirl.ecrater.com"]Handmade Thread Earrings[/url]
    approval code 509/2/Y

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast