Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Big Chop before or after the Wedding!?!

Hi Everyone!

I've been transitioning my hair for the past 5 months and I feel like I'm almost ready for the Big Chop...But I'm getting married in a month and a half. I was planning on wearing a wig, for the ceremony, but I'm nervous about chopping off all of my relaxed ends and that will mean I won't be able to get my hair braided as a protective style.

Like I said, it's been 5 months so I completely have two different textures on my head. I guess I'm just nervous about taking the leap before my big day.

What do you ladies think? Should I wait until after the wedding to chop off my relaxed ends or just go for it now.

Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats! on the wedding and on your transition. Option#1: do not cut any more hair and decide on a protective style with hair extensions.

Option#2: do the big chop right now for the rest of your relaxed ends and become acclimated to the new look.

Option#3 (which I personally do not like): wear a wig and in the future always remember that you didn't wear your own hair when you look at your wedding pictures. (Okay, so I am biased.)

And definitely do a search here for "wedding hairstyles" to get some ideas. Just take a bit of time to really consider your options and it'll come to you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by lin19lyn; 02-25-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do your big chop.You're starting a new life with the man you love. Don't you want to be authentic?

TWA/short hair can be jazzed up for weddings by using coils, roller sets, and accessories.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do decide to big chop before the wedding, here is a really beautiful style you could wear:

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Look for photos of others that bc at 5 months

Your wedding is an important time in your life with photos that will last forever. Go to youtube and look at some of the bc video of people who bc around 5 months and see if the length and style is something you will be pleased with. I did my bc at 4 months and my hair was waaay shorter that I thought is was going to be. Take into account for shaping cause that will make it shorter and also count for shrinkage. If you look at your growth length now and think that the length you will end up with after the bc.....wrong. I do not regret the bc and I dont know what length your hair is now, but also realize soon you will be a wife and should take into account the feeling of your spouse. Talk to him and see how he feels as well. If you start your marriage off (especially your wedding day) making major decisions without his imput you will never hear the end of it later. You dont want to start your marriage off on the wrong foot.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some cute styles and accessories! Anyone know how to get curls like the woman in picture #2? Are those coils or rods or straw sets?

Anyway, I would also consider the theme of your wedding. For instance, let's say you're going with a tropical theme. A TWA would fit right in - place a cute, bright flower in your hair and voila! But talk to the future hubby first. You'd be surprised how many men love their woman's coils.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really feeling this pic. I would wear this. Congrats to you before your wedding. It'll be special no matter what you do with your hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister wore her hair short with a little tiara and veil. It was so beautiful. Her face and eyes stood out.

I vote for doing the big chop now, so you can learn what you can do with it and experiment. If worst comes to worst, you will still have enough hair for extensions.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenaciousredd View Post

I am really feeling this pic. I would wear this. Congrats to you before your wedding. It'll be special no matter what you do with your hair.
    Yes, I was really feeling that one!

I'm almost certain my wedding hair will be very low-maintenance should I ever marry. I'm just lazy like that. lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote for after. I wouldn't suggest doing something big like that before your big day. I know I am in the minority but if you become self conscious about your hair then that can affect your mood for the weddding. JMHO

If you bc now after 5 months of transitioning that= about 2.5 inches of hair if you grow .5 inches a month. So I would think about all this before you decide to do it.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast