Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikib4eva View Post
    Hey loc fam.,

My scalp has been screaming for a change in shampoos for a while, but I've been putting it off because I've been extremely busy at school.
    I've switched from Suave/V05 to Herbal essences and I'm still getting the flakes. My hair is also feeling really dry. I'm convinced it is the shampoo.
    I've also tried Dr. Bronners but it left a filmy buildup on my scalp (im assuming its because my water is hard...) so now I need other ideas.

I want to try a shampoo bar or ABS. Any suggestions?

For those who buy your hair products,
    Where can I find authentic yet decently priced soaps/shampoos?
    When using a bar, how do you maintain the freshness of the soap? Doesn't it disintegrate once it comes in contact with water?
    Do you just rub it on your hair or do you melt it into a spritz first?

Thanks in advance
    ~nikib4eva
    My hair was not feeling Dr. Bronner's, either. It left my hair looking gray and dusty, even when it was diluted.

If you're interested in shampoo bars, Ida from chagrinvalley makes some nice ones.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm
    http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft...rcondition.htm

The bars will melt each time you use them. Maybe you could purchase a soap deck to help the bar last longer.

You can either rub the bar over your hair or lather it up in your hands first and then wash your hair.

I personally prefer liquid shampoos, and have had success with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo and Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo. They both get my hair very clean with drying it out. The Trader Joe Shampoo is very reasonably priced at a few dollars for a 16 oz size. The KKCC is not as reasonably priced at 12.00 for 8 oz. I do like KKKC because it works and there isn't much fragrance. It's really, well, clean smelling. You can find it at Whole Foods.

I recently purchased Yes To Carrots (about 16 oz for 8.00 or 9.00) which I find to be extremely moisturizing. It leaves my locks very soft. I need for it to lather up a bit more, though, for some better scrubbing action. I purchased mine at Whole Foods, but I think you can find it at Target, too.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "authentic" soaps/shampoos, but if you're trying to avoid particular ingredients, curlmart.com is a good resource in that it lists which products don't have certain ingredients. Curlmart is how I found KKKC. I was looking for a shampoo that didn't contain protein or glycerin.

http://www.curlmart.com/store/manufacturers.php
    Last edited by dayna; 03-07-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ladies.
    I washed more often this week.
    I used my African Black soap and my hair and scalp were both moisturized and clean.
    I didn't need any oils or anything afterwards.
    Then i switched back to my shampoo/conditioner (which is extremely diluted. probably 75% water at this point).... dry dry dry dry dry hair and scalp. The flakes were back with a vengeance. Needless to say, I'm sticking with the African Black soap. It works for me.

I had a feeling it was the shampoo, but I wanted your shared knowledge anyway.
    Thank you all for listening.

@dayna : I will be sampling the chagrin valley soaps. Thank you for the helpful links.
    9 Year old locs. Still loving it!
    There is strength in coils- My 8th grade teacher.
    Checkout my progress on YT (https://bit.ly/2QexU1W)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12