User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oberlin
    Posts
    416
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Sulfate free shampoo

    Hey loc fam.,

    My scalp has been screaming for a change in shampoos for a while, but I've been putting it off because I've been extremely busy at school.
    I've switched from Suave/V05 to Herbal essences and I'm still getting the flakes. My hair is also feeling really dry. I'm convinced it is the shampoo.
    I've also tried Dr. Bronners but it left a filmy buildup on my scalp (im assuming its because my water is hard...) so now I need other ideas.

    I want to try a shampoo bar or ABS. Any suggestions?

    For those who buy your hair products,
    Where can I find authentic yet decently priced soaps/shampoos?
    When using a bar, how do you maintain the freshness of the soap? Doesn't it disintegrate once it comes in contact with water?
    Do you just rub it on your hair or do you melt it into a spritz first?


    Thanks in advance
    ~nikib4eva
    9 Year old locs. Still loving it!
    There is strength in coils- My 8th grade teacher.
    Checkout my progress on YT (https://bit.ly/2QexU1W)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The green, green grass of home
    Posts
    10,421
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I'm not locked, but here's a question:

    ~ do you have any existing scalp issues? You mentioned flaking...

    off topic: Do you attend Oberlin College in Ohio? Beautiful campus, I hear.









  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oberlin
    Posts
    416
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    I'm not locked, but here's a question:

    ~ do you have any existing scalp issues? You mentioned flaking...

    off topic: Do you attend Oberlin College in Ohio? Beautiful campus, I hear.

    I didn't have any scalp issues until i started locking... i don't know what it is. My hair and scalp are just really dry...
    Its not as bad when i condition after i shampoo, so i am convinced the shampoo is just too drying. Even after i dilute it.

    ~I do attend Oberlin . It is beautiful, but i wish it would stop snowing.
    9 Year old locs. Still loving it!
    There is strength in coils- My 8th grade teacher.
    Checkout my progress on YT (https://bit.ly/2QexU1W)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    rocky mount
    Posts
    85
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Have you tried african black soap?
    Self acceptance eliminates doubt from others..
    [url]http://public.fotki.com/Nikinat929/new-journey/0215111638a.html[/url]
    [IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w113/nikitapurvis/110321-010835.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    rockford
    Posts
    131
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    What other products are you using on your hair for daily maintenance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    natural hair=panked

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    23,026
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    How often do you shampoo and do yous use conditioner?


    Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    RANCH CUCAMONGA
    Posts
    3,813
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Yes, that is the question how often are you washing your hair? You may need to wash more often. I am assuming you are in a very cold climate? It is crazy but I notice changes as the weather goes from cold to extreme heat. Maybe instead of changing up shampoos look for something for a seasonal change? ;-)
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oberlin
    Posts
    416
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikinat29 View Post
    Have you tried african black soap?
    No. I have a bar of ABS that i ordered from nsaab. I was using for my face but Im going to try it on my hair and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldlady1909 View Post
    What other products are you using on your hair for daily maintenance?
    I had been using some ORS products but I stopped because they were making my face breakout. I figured that my skin wasn't a fan of all the chemicals.

    I've tried EVOO but after about a day or two it gets dry again. I feel like it makes my hair super soft for a while, but it doesn't do much for my scalp. Maybe I should apply it more often?
    I don't know what else to try and I am trying to limit the products i put in my hair. As a result my locs are super clean but now they are also really dry.


    Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    How often do you shampoo and do yous use conditioner?
    I shampoo at least once a week. I condition every other time i Shampoo.

    Quote Originally Posted by delleaux View Post
    Yes, that is the question how often are you washing your hair? You may need to wash more often. I am assuming you are in a very cold climate? It is crazy but I notice changes as the weather goes from cold to extreme heat. Maybe instead of changing up shampoos look for something for a seasonal change? ;-)
    I think it is the fact that its really cold.
    Im afraid to wash more than I already do because in my mind wet hair + cold air = sickness. I also hate the way my hair feels after i blow dry it. It gets stiff on top of being dry.
    Ill try washing more again then.


    I'd also like to add that I colored my hair in November and have been avoiding things that would strip the color (ie: baking soda and acv...)
    At this point i just want my scalp to be happy so I will take any suggestions.
    Thank you all for responding.
    9 Year old locs. Still loving it!
    There is strength in coils- My 8th grade teacher.
    Checkout my progress on YT (https://bit.ly/2QexU1W)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    23,026
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    First: you do not get sick from having cold hair. Unless you're talking hypothermia.

    Anyhoo, once a week is a good schedule for a hair wash but you could up it to twice a week to see if it does a difference. Also it's possible that your scalp just doesn't like the shampoos you're using so I suggest you try different producs, some made for sensitive scalps, to see if that helps as well. Putting EVOO or any oil on your scalp isn't necessary, in fact, dandruff can be a symptom of a scalp that's already too oily.

    Rereading your reply to Delleaux: you blow dry everytime you wash your hair? Welp, that could be the culprit right there. Put down the blow dryer and let your hair air dry.


    Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oberlin
    Posts
    416
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    First: you do not get sick from having cold hair. Unless you're talking hypothermia.

    Anyhoo, once a week is a good schedule for a hair wash but you could up it to twice a week to see if it does a difference. Also it's possible that your scalp just doesn't like the shampoos you're using so I suggest you try different producs, some made for sensitive scalps, to see if that helps as well. Putting EVOO or any oil on your scalp isn't necessary, in fact, dandruff can be a symptom of a scalp that's already too oily.

    Rereading your reply to Delleaux: you blow dry everytime you wash your hair? Welp, that could be the culprit right there. Put down the blow dryer and let your hair air dry.
    Sorry if my response was unclear. Don't worry i don't blow dry at all lol. I did like once or twice and i don't like it.

    In the past i went out with damp hair and the next day i got really sick so I just associated them. I guess it was just a coincidence.

    I'll just wash more this week and really pay attention to the way my hair and scalp responds.
    I will let y'all know.
    9 Year old locs. Still loving it!
    There is strength in coils- My 8th grade teacher.
    Checkout my progress on YT (https://bit.ly/2QexU1W)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •