Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shopping for shirts...

I'm having the toughest time finding shirts for the spring and summer. I feel like I don't even know what to look for. I also feel like there might be a cute shirt that just looks ugly to me on the hanger but if I knew how to pair it with something, I bet it would be cute. I just don't know how to do that.

What do you look for in a shirt when buying one? Are there some key things I need to look for?

To describe my style a little bit, I love off the shoulder shirts, wearing a simple tee/tank with a long cardigan. That's all I know for real. I want to find things I can wear to work and just for everyday use. I don't have to dress up for work at all, but I've been wanting a more "grown up" look and I just feel stuck.

I don't like the Dereon/Apple Bottom/Rocawearish look but I also don't like the New York and Co / Gap look either. I like some things from each of those places but the overall look is not what I like if that makes sense.

I saw some things in the inspiration thread that I liked, like this, but I bet I would never know that shirt had potential if it was on a hanger by itself. I'm trying to get to a point where I can spot things like this.

If you guys have any advice, please let me know! Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fashion student and I always get knocked for my 80's style. (ie, off the shoulder shirts) so I'm glad I'm not the only one!

In the spring and summer I usually look for light fabric shirts like rayon and cotton. (But thats probably because I live in GA now and its ridiculous hot here in the summer). I also like either flow-y or loose fitting tops for around this season.

I also rarely buy things that don't look good on the hanger but I've learned that if my eye is even mildly caught by something, I give it a chance (at least try it on). I was stuck in just jeans, sneakers, and a simple top until I started getting clothes that weren't "me" persay. I made them me, if that makes sense. Hope that helps!
    Don't forget the blessings in the struggle.

Yes, I am a product junkie and this is my rehab: [url]http://productjunk-ie.blogspot.com/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! That helps a lot! I think I've been so stuck on tight fitting shirts....only to avoid ironing. lol I looked in some other threads and found some sites that I liked so I bought some shirts from www.bodyc.com, mostly tunics, and then I got some shirts from Gap/Old Navy/Piperlime. They are kind of "boring" but at least I can wear them to work and just out on a casual day. They seem more "grown up" to me.

I also found some boots and casual heels to go with some dresses I bought. I hope I can make it work. lol

I think the 80's style would probably describe the look I'm going for lately so I'm glad you said that!

This totally caught my attention
    I also rarely buy things that don't look good on the hanger but I've learned that if my eye is even mildly caught by something, I give it a chance (at least try it on). I was stuck in just jeans, sneakers, and a simple top until I started getting clothes that weren't "me" persay. I made them me, if that makes sense.
    That's what i need to do. Just do something different and unfamiliar and see what happens. If I keep buying the same things, I'll never get a new look. lol. Thank you!!

ETA: One more question! Are there some kind of unspoken rules about fashion? Like you know how people used to say "don't wear stripes with polka dots, or don't wear brown and black/red and pink" But now I see stuff like that happening all the time. I feel like if I put together an outfit to try and be different, it would be a hot mess. lol. I see others rock things and it always looks good but I guess I just don't know what the rules of fashion are anymore. lolol.

I'm about to become obsessed with fashion blogs and try to learn some things just like I did with this site and hair. I found a couple yesterday so I'm gonna try to get some ideas!
    Last edited by ~GAN~; 03-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post
    ....What do you look for in a shirt when buying one? Are there some key things I need to look for?
    Shop with a goal and/or staple in mind, and select an item that flatters/enhance your beauty.

I'm not a shopper... loathe it, but when I do, I think of myself as a client. I look for uniqueness, details, materials, something chic, and step out of my comfort zone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gan- if you don't mind, what age range are you in? I ask because to me, certain styles are appropiate for certain ages. Personally, I'm not a shopper and I don't have the "eye" for outfits. I do however, have an eye for accessories. Because of this, what I wear usually looks like a really cute outfit, but it's simply the costume jewelry that brings it out.

I have come to wear dresses a lot more. It gets really hot in Vegas and the less clothing I have to wear is better. Here's and example of what I may do with a dress. I have a navy blue knee length, short sleeved dress. I might wear, red accessories (be careful not to over accessorize). I will wear red earrings, bracelets and shoes.

On a weekend, I might wear Jeans, regular old navy flip flops and a tank top. But I will wear a really funky necklace, earrings and ring and cute purse.

Shirts, I usually like the off the shoulder or some kinda shirt that has a lil sparkle. For work, I like blouses. preferrably ones that distract attention from my gut.
    Last edited by chocodoll; 03-12-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips ladies! One thing I haven't been doing is accessorizing. I love big hoop earrings but my ears get so irritated so I normally don't wear any at all. I just need to splurge on some 14K gold or something.

@Chocodoll, I'm turning 28 on the 14th (monday). I've been having a bit of a break down today. After having my son, I feel like i lost all of my "sense of style" due to the weight gain and just feel unproportioned. So now almost 4 yrs later, I've lost most of my baby weight and I'm trying to find my sense of style again as a mom, young adult, and career woman.

Since i do wear a lot of simple outfits (fitted tee with jeans) I think the jewelry would really help me out. Thanks for that tip!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sis, have you tried these...

www.forever21.com

www.charlotterusse.com

www.wetseal.com

They usually have cute tops

When buying a shirt I usually look at the cut. I tend to like those that are more fitted at the waist so it appears that I have more hips (bc mine are barely there), like this one (which I'm ordering)

IA with Chocodoll about the accessories too!

eta: Here is a blog I like....

http://www.meek-n-mild.com/

And here is her youtube channel...

http://www.youtube.com/user/shirleyb.../2/mE6WNzFvKIc
    Last edited by positiveenergee; 03-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for rules of fashion...there are some but I personally don't follow them! lol And like you said, the rules are constantly being broken so there's really no use.

I say, if your comfortable and confident in what your wearing, the rules don't apply to you.
    Don't forget the blessings in the struggle.

Yes, I am a product junkie and this is my rehab: [url]http://productjunk-ie.blogspot.com/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy early birthday GAN!

Just seconding the idea of tunics. Also, I don't know what your body shape is, but certain types of shirts look best on certain body types...have you ever been to My Virtual Model.
    Basically it lets you plug your measurements in and create a virtual you to try lots of different looks on...pretty cool.

Also, never underestimate the power of layering and accessorizing...I have shirts that look completely boring by themselves, but with a necklace and a jacket, they pop! So try out things together as well as apart.

Also, something to try for fun...go to a thrift store...pick on in a nice neighborhood...and spend ten bucks on a few shirts in styles that you otherwise would NEVER wear. If you don't like them, give them away. If you do, you've discovered something that fits you with minimal risk and expense...then you can go shopping for new thing that are like your thrift bargain to expand your wardrobe(or, just keep going to the thrift store......don't sleep, some of them are awesome.)

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I have been on a mission these past couple of days. lol! Thank you SO MUCH for the blog and website suggestions!

I went to Stein Mart yesterday and that is a place I'll continue to go to from now on cuz they have really good sales! I got this really cute pleather brown jacket, some ballerina flats, and this sick blue calvin klein purse. I got that since i would normally get black but since I wear so much black anyway, I think it will help make my outfits pop.

I also took the advice of trying shirts I normally would never wear. I saw so many things on sale at Khols. Vera Wang's stuff was so cute. I tried on this one shirt by Elle that was flowy and it was ok on, I just wish it was a bit longer. It was nice to get away from form fitting shirts though. I tried to focus on blazers, jackets, cardigans since I have so many tanks and tees. I got 2 blazers, one tweed and a black satiny blazer by Lauren Conrad. I can't wait to wear it!

I think I'm gonna take the Body Central stuff back once it gets here because its too predictable for me and I want to get away from that.
    I really want to do what you suggested @tjolims cuz we have a ton of thrift stores just on my block but I want to try a different area. I thought about that all weekend but never made I to one. That will be what I do next though. Thanks for the BDay shout out!!

@postiveenergee, I LOVE those stores! I went to some of them this weekened but I did see a ton of cute clothes on there. I've spent so much money so far but once i return some things, I may hit up Forever 21 for some casual shirts too.

Thanks @shamira I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I was watching Rachel Zoe's show on youtube and I was learning a lot! lol! I can't wait till my other clothes come in so I can experiment some more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast