Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do you have to know exactly where you came from?

If you found out you were Nigerian would that mean you were suddenly going to adhere to Nigerian culture and everything? I mean you could, but you also don't have to. Just live your life and create your own culture. I'm 100% Cameroonian, but I don't feel like that's my only culture, and I'm restricted to it or anything. You can experience the great parts of many cultures. Don't feel like just because it's not in your "ancestry", you can't take part in other things. You have the whole world to enjoy. Don't get hung up in the past, and about being "certain" about everything
    Last edited by spaceoddity; 03-16-2011 at 05:51 PM.

G.Eve is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Said. I am me............moving on....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my past. Without it, I wouldn't have a present. And yes, I love my past, my culture in particular. Above all others. That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate and enjoy other cultures and histories, but if I had a culture swapper machine, I'd stick with mine every time

That said, I assume you're piggy-backing off of recent posts dealing with black Americans and some "lack" of culture...an alienation from where they come from. If so, I have to say that as a black American, I know exactly where my people come from. America by way of the Middle Passage. I think the trials they went through were sufficient to qualify as culture making.

So basically, I have to know (and do know) where I come from so I can know how I got to where I am today. And what went into making it possible for me to continue moving forward.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just part of our (humans) natural curiosity...that's why we've traced our MtDNA all the way back to Mitochondrial Eve...it's just fascinating, I guess. That being said, I'll have my DNA traced/mapped as soon as I win the lotto! lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm saying this cause some people seem so hung up about getting their ancestry totally right, but I don't think that's what's really important. if my ancestry comes from other places, how does it really change me? i guess i'm very anti-traditional. my culture is cool and all but i like other cultures as well.. so i'll incorporate what i like into the way i live. there is no "ultimate culture". of course a lot of people think the way they live is the shit

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well do you boo lol. No one's going to strap you down amd force you to be traditional or find your ancestors. We can all be cool appreciating what we want to appreciate.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh okay....I want to know where I came from so I can feel complete as a person. Of course I was born in America, but my ancestors were from some place else. You only live once and I would like to know where my peoples came from *yeezy shrug*
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

8. Thanks jalarise84 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a very extensive research on who my ancestors were, not to find out who I am....I already know who I am, but it was information that was very interesting to know.

The experience of finding pictures, and all types of county, service, records, birth certificates, etc., was very revealing and confirmed alot of things that I had questions about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I subscribed to Ancestry.com just a few days ago. I thought it would be interesting to find out more about my family. Also, I miss my great-grandmother and want to know more about her and her life. My GG did not raise my grandmother, who seems irritated when I ask her questions. Apparently, there are some secrets that my grandmother will not reveal and you know some folks can't leave well enough alone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people want to know for various reasons. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. *Shrugging shoulders*
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast