Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Nurse Thread

Hello I am a soon to be an RN in May and would love to hear feedback about being a nurse from those of you who are currently working as a nurse. Do you find the hours easy to handle with family life??? What are the ups to being a nurse and what are the downs??? Does anyone regret becoming a nurse???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you will be ok take it one day at a time

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a nurse but I am studying to be one. I wonder the somethings. I work as a medical assistant now but it 8-5 so no long hours yet.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on the waiting list for nursing school ::crying::

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/4 of the way through my first year of nursing school.

Been working hard! Looking forward to summer vacation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a nurse about 14 years. Don't regret a single minute of it. I've had roles both at and away from the bedside. But I love that you always have options in this profession.

Pros-Internal satisfaction that you are making a difference in other's lives.
    Flexible schedule
    Love working with a cooperative team.
    Always learning and growing

Cons- Long shifts
    Family adjustments from going from student role to nurse role
    No one at home quite understands what you do at work and the level of stress as well as critical thinking involved.
    Due to confidentiality that you can't always share your day. '
    You build ultra close relationships with your pateints but you have no clue how they eventually end up doing.
    Sometimes feeling like the patient teaching that you are doing are going on deaf ears. Espeically when you see the same pateint return with the same problem that you did teaching on with him the last time he was in.
    The adjustment to being a RN does not happen when you pass boards. It takes about 1 yr of being a RN to go thru all the transitions that happens internally and many days you feel like giving up, crying or just walking out and being a checker at the grocery store. Real life on the floor is very different than clnical experience.

Off the top of my head these are things I can think of, but I will check back on this thread regularly if I think of anything else.
    Last re.laxer Dec 2006
    BC'd Jan 25, 2008
    2nd BC June 2012

7. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 2 and a half weeks of school left. . . OMG vacation can't come soon enough. Still pulling an A.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am almost finished with my prerequisites for nursing school. I plan to get my BSN and then my MSN with specialty in midwifery and then a DnP.
    Hair Photos: http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/ChelWren
    Crafts & Fitness Tumblr: http://omystitch.tumblr.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't regret being a RN at all.

But I will be VERY honest with you, this job is not for the faint of heart. And when you're actually working as a RN, you will see exactly what I mean.

I've been a nurse for 2 years, and I currently work in a busy ER in a Level I trauma center. I see it all. And I mean ALL!

It took me about a year to feel somewhat confident in my RN role. I started off on a Stepdown Telementry unit before transferring to the ER. And critical thinking skills are NOTHING they teach you in nursing school. This is all on the job training.

And the term "nurses eat their young" is very true. Especially in specialty areas such as ICU and ER. And I will be totally honest, those areas (at least in my neck of the woods) don't have much diversity in the RN's working there. I work at a county hospital that has a patient population of 85% African Americans and in the ER and ICU's, you will see about one black nurse to every 10 white ones. Currently, there are 6 black nurses in the ER, including myself.

If you can, join the Black Nurses Association in your local area.

There will be days when you come home crying, wondering if you will ever "get it". You will see things that you do not agree with morally but you can't say anything because you are there to take care of the patient, not judge them on their choice of lifestyle. There is tons of charting to do so you won't be sued if something goes to court.

I have my BSN and I don't want to go for my master's. I'm just gonna get certified in every thing that I can and continue to grow as an ER/Trauma nurse.

11. Thanks Ororo, shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished my last exam yesterday and turned in my last assignment. I worked really hard this year and am finishing with a 99 average. Next year I'm working extra hours in the ED as part of my honors project. Am very excited. Am also happy to have some time off. School is great but very grueling.

13. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast