Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^I think we've said over and over, and over, and over and over again, it's HOW YOU SAY IT and the INTENT behind what's said, and not the fact that you're actually NOT African American or a home grown negro, gen-u-wine U.S of A black American forced from your African homeland and enslaved in this country that barely recognized black folk as human.

I really don't care that you're not. It's ok...really it is, but if you come across with attitude you get the big ole side eye from me and apparently a whole lot of other folks in this thread as well.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akomas_Angel View Post
    SN: Who do you have in your family that looks like Idris? And most importantly, are they single?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post

I'm not American but I've lived in this country longer than any other. I went to high school in New York and my family still lives there. I have moved all around the US. When people start the "oh so you are a New Yorker" line of discussion whether its positive or not, I'm quick to tell them I'm not from New York.

yeah but NY is a whole different animal. you don't have to have been born here in order to be considered a new yorker. EB White has a fantastic essay on the definition of a new yorker..

according to a "native" new yorker i know, i became a new yorker once in my 6th month i stole a taxi cab that i didnt hail because some tourist family was taking forever to hop in the back she was like " i can't believe you just did that! you're a NYer now "

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not my impression that the goal here is to come to one interpretation/understanding.

^^GG, noted. But you never answered the question. Who is this relative that looks like Idris and is he single? (I mean since I'm with the original I don't really care and all...)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post
    I'm not American but I've lived in this country longer than any other. I went to high school in New York and my family still lives there. I have moved all around the US. When people start the "oh so you are a New Yorker" line of discussion whether its positive or not, I'm quick to tell them I'm not from New York. When Im in a foreign country and people try to engage me in the wonderfulness of America (you may not believe it but it happens), because theres something American about me i tell them Im not American. When I'm in France and people assume I'm African (which I am) i don't correct them by saying "but I flew here from the US" to avoid their negative impressions of Africans. So harmless, yet when I want to correct somebody from calling me African-American, it's all of a sudden an insult when in fact I'm not African-American. That's interesting.
    I correct people and that, in itself, is not the insulting aspect of this.

I think that's the conundrum a lot of people are having is okay, it's irritating but why is the person mad? Okay, you're not black American. Just say you're not black American and keep it moving. If you're on the HuffPo losing your mind over it I think there IS something else going on. Honestly, it's JUST a misunderstanding and a justified one if you're a black person who is on American soil.

The times I got mad at assumptions like that was when I realized people were judging me not based on location (all of these moments happened when I was in Korea) but based on black stereotypes.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I may go back the original article and comment: why is that woman posting her mini-rant under an article about Washington being a "black" name now?

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112