Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I was going to suggest possible racist immigration laws but that'll do.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolynne View Post
    I honestly don't think it's such a leap to assume that someone black in the U.S. may be "African-American". It seems like a logical conclusion to me. It just makes sense. I was never offended when folks in Brazil assumed I was Brazilian and a "Brazilian of African descent" specifically. They were wrong but it wasn't the result of anybody's faulty logic.
    No...not too much of a leap at all. But then you don't get most white Americans being referred to as "Irish American" do you? (Really asking as I don't know). If they do get referred to that way and they're not...do they take offense?

We Blacks gave up our blood, sweat, tears and lives for our freedom which opened the doors for them to be here in the first place. THAT'S what they don't care to remember.
    Fixed it for ya.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The equivalent would be for someone white to be presumed Caucasian while in North America. Presuming a white person Irish American, rather than European American or Caucasian, wouldn't be the same as presuming a black person African American. For instance, enough Italian Americans like to be socially white but will balk at the suggestion that they're white rather than Italian. This is most often and especially so to interchangeably disassociate from the actions of whichever, be it stereotypes against Italian Americans or Whites in America.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 03-22-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I don't think it needs to be fixed? Unless I need to do some more history reading where their was a plethora of Black non AA people fighting for AA rights in America.

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    No...not too much of a leap at all. But then you don't get most white Americans being referred to as "Irish American" do you? (Really asking as I don't know). If they do get referred to that way and they're not...do they take offense?

Fixed it for ya.
    Yes. Being American entails all sorts of negative stereotypes in the broader international community. Whites who aren't American don't want that attached to their person. An example would be white Canadians who travel abroad and are mistaken as being white American because our accents are pretty much the same. It is an insult, and once the correction is made they are treated better in said foreign country, and might probably even view themselves as better, hence it being an insult.
    Insert African American (Or Black American if that's what you prefer) and it is the same thing. But I'd probably beg to differ the treated better part.
    Last edited by Plisskin; 03-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem a silly thing to get mad over. I lived in France for awhile, and have visited various countries, and never got offended when someone mistook me for some nationality that I wasn't.

SOME people have a problem with being mistaken for AA because for whatever reason they don't want to be associated with AA's. So what else is new under the sun.

That said, I'd hate to see this discussion turn into an "AA vs. other people of African ancestry" type of thread.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    West Indians migrated to the USA before WW2 e.g Colin Powell, Jamaican parentage, born 1937.

Denny
    Please re-read...note I said "many" not "none". Of course there were a few.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's whatever, Swing. If I were from over yonder and came through talking about being mistaken for a nigga, that couldn't be cleaned up by saying that I find the term distasteful later. Folk aren't that slick.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swingbolder View Post

That said, I'd hate to see this discussion turn into an "AA vs. other people of African ancestry" type of thread.
    I think it's too late for that. By definition the thread is AA vs. erry body else (not just england but jamaica, africa...i feel like the comment even mentioned cuba could be making that one up though lmao)
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
    I think it's too late for that. By definition the thread is AA vs. erry body else (not just england but jamaica, africa..
    Actually, it's more like "dumb lady who wrote Huffpo article vs. AA."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    If I were from over yonder and came through talking about being mistaken for a nigga
    Haha, well put.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast