Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tonia Hawkins: I was born in England and now live in America. (Huffpo)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social..._78116529.html

I feel the same way because I'm in the same situation. I hate when people try to be PC and then assume I'm American, by calling all black people in America "African-American".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry i think this is a bit stupid and this lady probably needs to venture out a bit in life to have access to some real irritations about life in the US,

of all the things to get her panties in a bunch over.. of course, it's her panties and her bootie this issue is sticking to, but for me it's not a huge deal if i travel other places and get mistaken for whatever their variety of black person is. i dunno

i think it's normal to for people to assume that someone is from the country they live in, especially if they seem to have put down some roots (ie job, housing, etc). getting upset over it is like being a vegetarian and then getting upset because when you hang out in bbq joints people assume you're a meat eater.

Aesys is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the real issue for some foreign born black folk is that they look down on black Americans. So anything related to being a black American is seen as less than. I have heard the same contempt if they are referred to as black. My family hails from Central America and the Caribbean and I have heard my fair share of opinions on black Americans.

I have been mistaken for different nationalities and I never found it to be irritating.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aesys View Post
    I think the real issue for some foreign born black folk is that they look down on black Americans. So anything related to being a black American is seen as less than. I have heard the same contempt if they are referred to as black. My family hails from Central America and the Caribbean and I have heard my fair share of opinions on black Americans.

I have been mistaken for different nationalities and I never found it to be irritating.
    Lol I do think this is the sinister undercurrent that runs beneath a lot of the frustration about being mistaken.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments like this is why I pretty much AVOID comments on sites like the HuffPo. It rare that the peanut gallery has insightful things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesys View Post

Much ado about nothing and I agree. I don't get my undies in a bunch if I'm somewhere with a big population of people from Haiti and they think I'm from Haiti. (that's happened in the Haitian-American population when I was in San Fran.)

But, in all fairness, the low end of black American culture is pretty scandalous. I can see someone who hasn't thought it through to be weird about it. I don't look at it as a reflection on me, although racists and bigots jump on any reason to continue their hate of blacks.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its what Aesys said. If that person visited Nigeria, Ghana, or any other African country, I know they wouldn't toot their nose up and be "offended" that they'd be mistaken for Nigerian or Ghanian.
    It's a shame how many of our so called brethren across the globe believe the negative imagery of black Americans is an accurate portrayal for all. You'd think they'd be sympathetic and understanding that its not since they get it done to them too, but no.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnaisKarim View Post
    Pretty much. I have sat in the room with a bunch of non-American blacks and heard some really harsh isht about AA's because they didn't know I was one.
    Yet if it were not for all of these so-called "no good American Blacks" those same people would not be given the privilege of being in the U.S.

We American Blacks gave up our blood, sweat, tears and lives for our freedom which opened the doors for them to be here in the first place. THAT'S what they don't care to remember.

You didn't see many non white immigrants hammering to get here during Jim Crow!

I simply ask them "where were your people before civil rights'? Their reponses is to simply bite their tongues and shut the h up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane8783 View Post
    Yet if it were not for all of these so-called "no good American Blacks" those same people would not be given the privilege of being in the U.S.

We American Blacks gave up our blood, sweat, tears and lives for our freedom which opened the doors for them to be here in the first place. THAT'S what they don't care to remember.

I simply ask them "where were your people before civil rights'? Their reponses is to simply bite their tongues and shut the h up.
    West Indians migrated to the USA before WW2 e.g Colin Powell, Jamaican parentage, born 1937.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    West Indians migrated to the USA before WW2 e.g Colin Powell, Jamaican parentage, born 1937.

Denny
    Please re-read...note I said "many" not "none". Of course there were a few.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane8783 View Post

They were here but it was a different time and we were more unified thanks to segregation. We were ALL Negro or Colored then. No one called Marcus Garvey Jamacian, he was just a Colored man living in America. No one called Arturo Alfonso Schomburg Puerto Rican, he was a Colored man living in America. My original birth certificate lists me as Colored. After "intergration" I was black and then Africian American. My Godfather became Jamacian. One of my Godmothers became Puerto Rican. People tried to call my Mom Cuban but she resisted. She had been through too much in this country not to be called American.

They were here all along. It's the wave who came after "intergration" that bought into the stereo types and segregated themselves from the people born here. They convinced themselves that their blues ain't like ours and that they actually look different from us. It's funny, I have visited many countries and when it comes to people of West Africian decent, I see a relative every time.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread
    Livin.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast