Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate CurlyGirl View Post
    I don't agree with the term African American either because that's a generalization that not all blacks fit into. There are many blacks in the US who are from the Caribbean, so they aren't AA. Just like all Caucasians aren't from the same country, some may be from Europe and heck some are from Africa, especially south Africa. So I guess white Africans are African Americans as well? Another reason why I say African American is too restrictive and general. Just call me black lol.
    i agree with this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    I didn't read the article but here's my take on folks not wanting to be mistaken for being an African American... You may have your own little hierarchy about black folks, but to WHITE folks in American, if they're going to discriminate, they don't GIVE A DAMN about your country of origin.

You STILL an AFRICAN in AMERICA and you are STILL less than in their eyes. If you're applying for a job and someone wants to discriminate against you sitting there, you don't get extra points just because yo black azz was born somewhere else. If anything, they might tell yo black azz to go back to where ever you came from. Shoot when I was ten, I had a white man tell me to go back to Africa.

I'm like, look whitie... I was born in St. Joe Hospital right here in this city. My ancesters have been here since slavery. I'm just as AMERICAN as you. OK? (Alright, I digress a little) but y'all get my point.

Anyhoo, I say for all ya'll black folks who don't want to be mistaken for being an AFRICAN AMERICAN...get the F over it. Or yeah...go the hell back where you came from.

I'm pretty sick of this mentality by now. Talk about being divisive. Geeze!

Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn View Post
    Feelin' your post Mia. WordT.

And to take it even further, WE are the first people that set foot on this dam planet!! The whole dam world belongs to us! I don't need to claim a particular area! That's Eurocentic thinking and teachings... thus the whole reason as to why white people love to keep throwing up "Africa" as the ONLY place where we "originated" which is a lie, they throw this up to keep you thinking that that's THE only land you come from.
    I see, we can't take you or Nappy anywhere.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't read the article but here's my take on folks not wanting to be mistaken for being an African American... You may have your own little hierarchy about black folks, but to WHITE folks in American, if they're going to discriminate, they don't GIVE A DAMN about your country of origin.

You STILL an AFRICAN in AMERICA and you are STILL less than in their eyes. If you're applying for a job and someone wants to discriminate against you sitting there, you don't get extra points just because yo black azz was born somewhere else. If anything, they might tell yo black azz to go back to where ever you came from. Shoot when I was ten, I had a white man tell me to go back to Africa.

I'm like, look whitie... I was born in St. Joe Hospital right here in this city. My ancesters have been here since slavery. I'm just as AMERICAN as you. OK? (Alright, I digress a little) but y'all get my point.

Anyhoo, I say for all ya'll black folks who don't want to be mistaken for being an AFRICAN AMERICAN...get the F over it. Or yeah...go the hell back where you came from.

Damn!
    Are you serious?
    http://quileutewolfpack.com/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpanthershay13 View Post
    Are you serious?
    Quite. got a problem with that?
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting clutch has an article about the same topic... here

Here's my comment
    Interesting. As a Trinidadian, I never understood why some of my friends said they wanted to be from somewhere when I was a kid. My thought process was that everyone is from somewhere, but it took me a while to realize they meant some place that was exotic to them. They often use the example of me switching to my accent when I talk to my parents. I think that being American is something to be proud of, however Iíve been told that some people donít want to be ďjustĒ African American. Iíll admit that I still donít fully grasp this sentiment, because technically no one is just African American. This is very interesting and Iím glad I read it.

As an aside: I rarely ask folks where theyíre from, but when I do its because Iím interested in their journey to see if its similar to mine. Moving to the states to start over from scratch kind of sticks with you lol.
    Last edited by caribbelle; 03-23-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    noirmuse
    A new year: I'm ready to accept my potential and achieve my success in all its forms...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnaisKarim View Post
    They are NOT AA. AA's are a blend of black, white and Native American people homegrown in the United States for many generations with our own unique and widely copied culture - that some of our young are now apparently oblivious to. I have no problem with the term because to me it is only speaking of the black-identified descendants of the people who built the United States of America for FREE and made it possible for other black folks to come to our country and talk isht about us. LOL!

I have heard - "Eh, you're not Naija?!" With an uh oh, let me get my foot out of my mouth (do you think she heard everything I just said...) sheepish grin one too many times not to know what time it is. So let me limp my broke, no degree, illiterate, 12 baby daddy having, immoral, criminal and dirty stereotypical behind up out of this tired party and go home. But yeah, I'm still taking me a plate.
    two thumbs up for this reply....we are a special people and we need to be more boastful about it...
    <<<been here since 2003>>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn!
    I sort of agree with the first bolded - with some clarifications and whole-heartedly agree with the second.
    There was an article in the Guardian some time ago by Ngugi wa Thiongo's son about the type of discrimination that some Africans immigrants in America experience which is different from that that African Americans feel. In some instances, some African and black European immigrants experience a sort of "foreign-black privilege" in the eyes of some bigots/racists who are like - "you're black, but at least you're not that type of black." I have been in conversations with non-black people who felt that it was okay to de*****te African Americans in front of me because of my dual Nigerian-American citizenship (of course they felt ridiculous when I stated that I am just as African American as any other random black person on the street).
    At the same time, African immigrants - the exoticization of the "other," not terribly like the Hottentot Venus. It's not outright discrimination, but it is uncomfortable and de*****ting to be asked whether one uses refrigerators at home, lives in trees, or whether I consider myself "tribal."
    Then on top of that, there's the discrimination that African Americans receive and still fight against that we still receive as well. I spent my childhood in both the Northeast and the South and my experiences and that of my immigrant parents contain the same episodes of discrimination that other African Americans receive.

Regarding the second bolded point. I can't tell you how much it AGGRAVATES me to be in conversations with African immigrants who seek to distance themselves from being labeled as African American. The second bolded was my gut reaction to the comments at Huff Po. Also, if you are an African immigrant who hasn't been back to Africa since Reagan was president, you need to settle into your new status as African American - if you feel the need to get into specifics - Nigerian-American, Liberian-American, heck even Ashanti-with-some-Ga-American - whatevs...but when it comes down to it - you are a person of African descent or extraction, living, working, making babies and paying taxes in America.

Rather than fight over who is and who isn't African American, why can't we simply just expand our definition of who an African American is? We are an incredibly diverse people - that is black people living in America. I just wish we could all just get along.

@Intellexual - most amazing gif ever. I hope this thread de*****tes into an all out gif battle rather than an us vs. them type thread....
    "Eventually I knew precisely what hair wanted: it wanted to grow, to be itself, to attract lint, if that was its destiny, but to be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was..."
    -Alice Walker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^oh, are we not allowed to say the word d.e.n.i.g.r.a.t.e.s. in this forum. I thought I saw someone using the n-word earlier....hmpf
    "Eventually I knew precisely what hair wanted: it wanted to grow, to be itself, to attract lint, if that was its destiny, but to be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was..."
    -Alice Walker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aesys View Post
    I think the real issue for some foreign born black folk is that they look down on black Americans. So anything related to being a black American is seen as less than. I have heard the same contempt if they are referred to as black. My family hails from Central America and the Caribbean and I have heard my fair share of opinions on black Americans.

I have been mistaken for different nationalities and I never found it to be irritating.
    I don't think making the distinction is bad, but it depends on when and why it's done. Most people who don't know much about race use the terms interchangeably anyway so I clarify if they ask questions like "why do people call themselves African American". Although I'm the child of immigrants, I generally don't correct people because in the context they are usually talking about Black people as a race, and I identify as Black as well as West African. Even if they aren't talking about my historical identity as an immigrant, the comments they're making about blackness are usually something I feel compelled to comment on.

As for some foreign blacks looking down on Black Americans. This is true. BUT it is NO MORE TRUE than some Black Americans looking down on Africans or foreigners in general. African Americans are some of the most accepting AND xenophobic people I know. I have heard this countless times in conversation, when people didn't know I was African. "African booty scratcher" was a common insult when I was growing up. And so was "looking African" or "them Africans". I simply can't listen to how "they" hate African Americans. When I go to Africa and see them dressing and posturing like they think Americans do. And certainly not while I am here and bear witness to anti-African sentiments fairly regularly. Even from educated folks.

Lastly, with the number of African Americans becoming worldly and realizing their western privilege, many take pride in their ability to distinguish themselves from European/African Blacks in Europe. I have also heard and witnessed this. You can read it on nappturality too-women LOVE being novelties in Europe-and I don't totally blame them. It feels good to go somewhere and feel *valued* for a change. To not be at the very bottom of the social/racial hierarchy-and in some cases be above it. Who gives a damn if other people who share your complexion are not? I read a blog by an African American who was darker skinned, and she moved to France (temporarily). And just like many Africans in America, she eventually had to realize that once you stay in a place and the novelty wears off, white people know they are white, and they know you are not! Regardless of where you were born. Money may shield you from a lot of that painful reality, but most people encounter it eventually.
    Last edited by Luv1984; 03-23-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up here in the states and I'm assumed to be a Black American the majority of the time, unless people pick up when I pronounce certain words.

If your meeting someone for the first time they don't know you from Jack so it happens. When it does it, it doesn't make me feel any less Trini, nor does it incite some soca war cry. It comes with the territory of living in the states, I see no harm so I don't cry foul.
    noirmuse
    A new year: I'm ready to accept my potential and achieve my success in all its forms...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast