Thread: Loc Extensions?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried them-they're kind of a pain. Most and I say most, not all keep them in for a few months then cut them out or get rid of their locs. It's arduous, not worth it in my PERSONAL opinion.
    "Eventually I knew precisely what hair wanted: it wanted to grow, to be itself, to attract lint, if that was its destiny, but to be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was..."
    -Alice Walker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if not done properly the extensions could end up weakening your actual dreads.
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmellocs View Post
    Thats one of the fabulous things about being natural!!!! you may not realize it but you have too many options to count!!!! Blessings for what every decision you decide to make...Just try your best to make it a "natural" choice!
    <3

Wow congrats.
    Sorry to budge in between but how many packs of hair did you use? What brand?
    How do you maintain?

If I'm not mistaken you have a fotki? Will check that out. :-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Zakiya_ View Post
    ok, so I have been natural since last november and loving the whole natural thing. I have been contemplating dreads for a few months now, but REALLY want to avoid that whole getting it to loc stage....
    In order to have locs your real hair has to eventually 'loc' so its impossible to avoid the process that gives you what you want to achieve. But good luck with the extensions, I know folks who went down that route with successful results.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started my locs with loc extensions and I can say its worth it, but then again i did my loc extensions myself instead of paying hundreds of $$$. my hair was about 1/4 of an inch long because i had just cut of my mohawk so that was the only downfall. like everyone said your hair still goes through the normal locking process you just bypass the baby loc stage. I personally love them but people's experiences vary.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wanted Loc Extensions when I first started loc'ing. At this point (much less than one year later), I am glad I didn't do it.

At first my hair was super short. Maybe an inch in some places, shorter in others. I felt self-conscious about wearing coils and didn't have enough hair for twists. So, I got comb coils and they were so cute. People stopped me to ask about my hair all the time. Then once my hair started growing --I felt the coils were too small for my head. So, I went to a salon and had them started a little bigger.

I am so happy that I did that! At this point, I am not sure if I am even budding. But my hair looks different from one day to the next. It is really fun and I can see the progress.
    I recently discovered that my hair is long enough for curls. I got some small sponge rollers from Walgreens. I sprayed my hair with water and slept in rollers and now I have curls. Very cute. (I am so proud because this is the extent of my self help).

Anyway, I decided against extensions for the following reasons:
    I could not wrap my head around the expense and I am not a good "DIY" person. (Although, I do love watching youtube videos). Also, I personally, am weird about the hair of another human on my head. Not fake hair --but human hair. So, should I have been able to come up with the $1000+ to get extensions, I would have been creeped out about the fake hair and woke up in the middle of the night shaving my head.

Having said that: I am in the "Do YOU" Camp. Whatever you decide will be right for you. Make sure you ask to see before and afters --and afters (you want to see what the extensions look like in a month or two months).

Originally from Westwood, NJ, living in Dallas, TX since 9/06
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put in extentions 3 weeks ago, and it was the best decision for me. I did them myself (thank you youtube)and they are not perfect but i love them. I am getting a lot of compliments. I got extensions because I wanted length although they are not very long. Maybe 6 -7 inches.

I ordered from hisandher.com and got the human loose kinky because it was on sale for $10. I got 2 packs. Another site is kingswigs.com. Their human kinky hair is $12-15.

I hope this information helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12