Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brazilian Keratin Treatment

Hello ladies, I am a newbie and have had my hair natural about 3 and a half years but always have it cornrowed. I want to start wearing it out and was thinking about getting the Brazilian Keratin treatment done. What do yall think about that process and is it damaging to your hair?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Meshamoo, Welcome to Nappturality, here we dont discuss straightening, relaxing or altering your texture with chemicals

Is there something you would like to do to your hair that you feel you cant do without chemicals?

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search with your thread title as the key words. There's many a (locked) thread re: brazilian keratin.

You don't need any kind of treatment to wear your hair out. If you do end up getting the BKT your hair won't be natural and we won't be able to give you any advice about the situation. Good luck.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Meshamoo!

As Cerendipity said, we do not alter our hair texture with chemicals here. The BKT can be very damaging to your kinks and coils. Please see these threads for more info:
    http://www.nappturality.com/forum/sh...atin+treatment
    http://www.nappturality.com/forum/sh...atin+treatment
    http://www.nappturality.com/forum/sh...98#post2353098

Some ways to wear your hair out include afro's, braid outs, twist outs, roller sets, and bantu-knot outs. What kind of look are you trying to achieve?
    Last edited by NappyNelle; 03-30-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do it...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKPuh0vb1a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Welcome to NP sis!

I would also like to add that you should look in our Hair Chat thread and the Styles Workshop. There are tons of styles that you can do with your hair as is that don't involve canerows (cornrows).
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MyHairChroniclesCMC View Post
    Don't do it...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKPuh0vb1a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Ok, I don't know why the video won't embed but here's the gist.

I was transitioning way back in the beginning of '09 and I heard of the BKT. I did debate this with myself for months (I was done with the CC, but still wanted to wear my hair straight at that time) and I settled on getting the treatment. My hair dresser assured me that the treatment was not a relaxer and it would wash out and everything would be fine. She told me the stuff did not have formaldehyde, which was my main concern.

Well, after two treatments, my hair never reverted. I also found out the product DID have formaldehyde. I was very upset and was left to transition with three very distinct textures.

I was mad because I didn't want my kinks completely gone, but they were. I realized there was no magic bullet...I needed to leave all the mess alone, no matter how wonderful it seemed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't believe that it's anything other than a relaxer followed by using formaldehyde to straighten the hair out with super high heat. It is everything that is not allowed for promotion on Nappturality. But I did want to tell you the truth about it because I was just discussing it last week in Portuguese with a Brazilian hairstylist I know - no I wasn't sitting in a salon trying to get one. In Brazil it's called a "Progressiva" which means Progressive. That alone is troubling, no? But afro-textured hair is put through an additional step of first relaxing, something they don't do for non-kinky hair. Then the chemicals are added, mainly consisting of coating the hair with formaldehyde and other products, many designed to hide the smell of the formaldehyde. It is blow-dried under super high heat until any the hair is shiny straight. And it is supposed to stay that way for 3 months or so but as you read from the prior post, all bets are off as to what your hair will do afterwards.

So between the heat, the relaxer and the opportunity to breathe formaldehyde... I think this would be a good time to just say "NO" and shut the thread.
    Last edited by chocolynne; 03-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Goodness, gracious!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolynne View Post
    In Brazil it's called a "Progressivo" which means Progress. That alone is troubling, no?
    Isn't it? Even though I have a ways to go in my mental transition...I can't believe just two years ago I was fully subscribed to this BS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast