Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Protein Sensitive Help..

I'm still learning about my hair even though I've been natural for a year, haven't really found a routine or a staple product for my hair when it comes to poos and conditioner.

The whole time I'm thinking my hair was effed up, it wasn't my hair it was the deep conditioner I was using. It made my hair feel like straw and very dry. I was then told that I was possibly protein sensitive. I just ran through my conditioning products and found out that majority of my products have some form of protein in it.

To those that are PS what kind of conditioners do you use?

Should I be checking my shampoos also?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't I just see you in a thread about coloring? I can more than understand being protein sensitive...but I think protein is good for your hair after a color job. Color's damaging, and protein adds strength.

Anyhoo, I'm PS and my fave DC is Say Yes to Carrots Moisture Mud Mask. Regular condish Aussie Moist Condish. Neither have protein.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Suzi_Q is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol yea that was me. I did a DC that had protein in it yesterday and ended up using the last of my Hello Hydration after so my hair felt fine but if I use it alone it cause havoc to my hair. Would that work if I just DC with a protein and follow up with a moisturizing condish?

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking in. My hair doesn't respond well to commercial products that contain protein, either.

I check the ingredients and make sure to avoid hydrolyzed wheat/soy protein. My hair HATES those. Even Aubrey Organics conditioners with milk protein--aren't for me.

However, I can use yogurt (11g protein per cup) for light protein. Go figure.

Generally, the products that I buy are all protein-free. I don't co-wash with it... I would definitely see that my leave-in doesn't contain it.

Now, if a product has silk amino acids, low on the list, that's ok. Those are more for softening than strenghthening.

I think my hair reacts negatively to heavy duty protein b/c it's already strong. Protein is good for filling in cracks in damaged hair shafts (like Aphogee).

Since I don't put my hair through much, all I need to focus on is moisture.

HTH
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 04-01-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    Checking in. My hair doesn't respond well to commercial products that contain protein, either.

I check the ingredients and make sure to avoid hydrolyzed wheat/soy protein. My hair HATES those. Even Aubrey Organics conditioners with milk protein--aren't for me.

However, I can use yogurt (11g protein per cup) for light protein. Go figure.

Generally, the products that I buy are all protein-free. I don't co-wash with it... I would definitely see that my leave-in doesn't contain it.

Now, if a product has silk amino acids, low on the list, that's ok. Those are more for softening than strenghthening.

I think my hair reacts negatively to heavy duty protein b/c it's already strong. Protein is good for filling in cracks in damaged hair shafts (like Aphogee).

Since I don't put my hair through much, all I need to focus on is moisture.

HTH
    AO protein conditioners are my staples
    I am going to try yoghurt in the next few weeks, it has been on list to try for ages
    My Fotki

Why are you trying so hard to blend in when you were born to stand out

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suzi_Q, you're still transitioning right?

Suzi_Q is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NappyNelle View Post
    Suzi_Q, you're still transitioning right?
    I never transitioned I had locs for 2 years and took them down and been a loose natural for a year.