Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Natural Hair Companies Marketing to Non-Black Consumers

Thought this article on BGLH was interesting:

Reader Martha writes;

Am I too sensitive as a natural and or black person? I found $20 in my pocket and quickly went to [a natural hair product company] website. I noticed on the site a slideshow of women of different races/ethnicities but not one black female. The intro had a white women with blonde curls, a hispanic women with black waves, and loads of biracial women, kids and babies… but no black women and no type 4 hair?! This is confusing to me. Am I, as a black woman, spending money to support black-owned businesses when I’m not represented within these brands? –Perplexed Natural

Interesting. I understand the need of natural hair companies to communicate that their products are not just for black women, but all women. The NaturallyCurly.com community demonstrates very well that curly/kinky hair issues are not limited to black women. But do you think black women are sometimes pushed to the side? Share your thoughts!
    My thoughts: Since black women alone consume something like almost half of hair care products percentage wise alone, I think it's cool that all of these black owned hair companies are erupting; not only opening up the door for black economic growth, but also reclaiming our hair industry that we consume so much of but barely own nothing in. We black women always get shunned from other companies, hair or otherwise in marketing and advertising other than them feeling like adding in a token once in a while. That's not a surprise and it sure as hell ain't going to change. But when a black owned company, who's customers are mainly black women, start marketing and having non-black women in their ads it annoys me. We already get the short end of the stick with non-Black companies, but I smh when my own people decide that they'd rather not have someone who looks like me advertising their product, but which they want people who look like me to buy.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are we absolutely sure that the company is a black owned company in the first place? just seems really sketchy to me. it's a natural hair product site, not exactly for products catered to Natural hair (n by Natural i mean African type hair).

why would our own ppl not want to show our own face in an ad for a product thats supposed to be catered to us, unless it's not our own ppl and the products are not really catered to us. maybe white ppl see whats selling for black ppl nowadays and just went all Elvis on it. (you know...the same way Elvis pretty much plagiarized rock n roll in order to capitalize on it. do some research on it if you don;t get what i mean.)

#just sayin
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen1 View Post
    why would our own ppl not want to show our own face in an ad for a product thats supposed to be catered to us, unless it's not our own ppl and the products are not really catered to us.
    The same reason people spend more money for products and goods advertised with models than with regular-looking people. It happens.

If it's a black-owned natural hair company, shame on them and I want to know the name(s) so I can know who NOT to give my money to, and if it's a non-black-owned company advertising natural hair care to black people but not using black people in ads, shame on them and I want to know the name(s) so I can know who NOT to give my money to (again).

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she's being too sensitive. Maybe there are no women with 4 type hair on that site because that's not their target audience. Why waste money on marketing to a group of people that your product won't or isn't designed to work for or that don't use it in high numbers? That's like going to a page for relaxers and wondering why there are not straight haired White or Asian people on it, LOL.

Without knowing the name of the company it's kind of hard to really say anything. Is she SURE it's Black owned? Maybe the owners are biracial? Is she sure the products are made for all hair types? Or did she just hear about it, want to try it and finally just went and looked at the site?

I could sit here and rattle off lots of companies that do cater to type 4 hair so who cares about one that doesn't. Give your money to one of these other companies.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a black owned business, if so are they required to showcase black folks when it's a natural hair product company.... available to all? It's all about dollars and sense in marketing. What's sensible to the business that can bring in the most dollars. True, diverisity and representation wouldn't hurt... but I don't know the creators intent and ideal perspective of beauty. Now if the business is black owned, targeting black people, but can't envision the representation, then I'd have an issue and take my $20 elsewhere. I don't believe we're pushed to the side if the target is black folks. As a whole, we won't stand for it. "Natural" hair/products applies to all therefore I'm expecting to see diversity and maybe a few cultures left out.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-signing bhop13...

As much as we here prop up type 4 hair, the reality is that a lot of black folks (including owners of some of these companies) still don't think this hair type is beautiful enough to appear in an advertising campaign. Which is interesting considering how many type 4 naturals we've been seeing in non-hair-related ads marketed to the general population over the last 10 years or so...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen1 View Post
    are we absolutely sure that the company is a black owned company in the first place? just seems really sketchy to me. it's a natural hair product site, not exactly for products catered to Natural hair (n by Natural i mean African type hair).
    This. Reading the title I thought that it was a gripe against CD who now has Cassie and Paula Patton (along with Solange) as spokes women. And in that sense I'd say it makes good business sense that if she's reached the limits of the black hair community that she reaches out to a larger consumer base to continue her expansion. I'm guessing that non black consumers don't always think to look in the "ethnic" products for their hair even if they could benefit from them.

Having read the OP, it sounds like Mixed Chicks and if that's the case, well, they know who their target market is and it isn't it's not the straight up nappy hair types. If you feel offended that you don't see yourself in their adverts, then up to you to decide what you do with your hard earned money.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-blacks use natural hair products too. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing anything to indicate the products were aimed at black people.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    Non-blacks use natural hair products too. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing anything to indicate the products were aimed at black people.
    Exactly. That's why Carol's Daughter is selling so well on HSN.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, look at Carol's Daughter. That's exactly why i hate it when black hair products go mainstream. First, the quality sucks now and you have to search for a black face on HSN that's not Lisa's. Can't have my money.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast