Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Glad to be here!

Hello to everyone that is on this wonderful journey I have been natural since 11/10 but did'nt wear my natural hair until the last week of 12/10 because I wanted to start the new year with a new look. But since I been natural i was ok until I went on you tube and thats when my problems begin, the reason I say this I was very proud wearing my afro all I did was put some proline products in my hair it gave me sheen and i was ok but went I went on you tube and saw all the beautiful hair styles I was so excited and thats went my problems began I purchase the eco styler gels coconut oil , castor oil, shea butter leave in, shampoo africa best conditioner, argan oil. Omg and i still not happy what so ever with my hair in the end am back wearing my twa afro. My hair stay dry I found out its the water. so now I buy water to wash my hair, its pretty when its wet but when it drys am unhappy, am using oil moistures and that dont seem to work I really do not know my hair type its get to soft in the back and when I try to pop some curls in the front look nice and the back looks nice but the bottom is also straight am to the point were I think my hair just want to stay in afro. Some if anybody can tell me what to pleaseee tell me for I am so tried of fighting with my hair I understand its not good to try a lot of products but how am I to know? Also I do know that my hair is not a 4 they way it response I dont think I have a number lol well this my journey lost in shuffle. Once again please tell what am doing wrong .
    Last edited by Luv My Natural 531; 05-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if you were happy doing what you were doing before you went to youtube then you should stick with it. It's never a good idea to just put a bunch of products on your hair. You might want to just clarify, deep condition, and just try one or two products at a time.

Also, if you have a TWA then there's not many yt styles you can do without added hair so if I were you I would just enjoy it while you have it. I know it's frustrating not being able to do much (I have a twa myself) but the less you manipulate your hair the easier it is to maintain length. Before you know it you'll be trying styles you design yourself
    Last edited by thePerfectFool; 05-01-2011 at 04:00 AM.

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research.- Sherlock

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear your going thru this Its tough when you first go natural figuring out what works for your hair. In my experience, and from what i've read here over the years, less is more. You said you were satisfied with your hair until you went to youtube and started viewing videos. What were you using before youtube? Maybe you need to go back to what was working for you before?

I tried a ton of products and gadgets when I first went natural, and 7yrs later I'm back to the same stuff I used way back when: Creme of Nature products, a grocery bag tied on my head to deep condition, and some hair butter/oil before i style lol Not everyone's hair likes gels, oils, butters...so if you want to experiment more and try things...you might want to try one new product at a time so you can gauge how well your hair responds to the one thing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello sis! Sorry for your frustration and don't let Youtube and all the hype suck you in! What works for others hair won't always work for you. You have to take the time to learn your hair, what it likes, and what it will do. Natural hair is nothing likepermed or straight hair, so you have to accept some things about it....like shrinkage, different textures, what it does in humidity and dry air, etc. Simplify your routine and go from there. All you really need is a good shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer and styler. If your hair likes oil, figure out what it likes, if it likes gel, try to find one that doesn't dry your hair out (no alcohol) and check out the help me with my hair forums and the product forums!
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all of you beautiful sisters for the advice I will slow down my pace and go from there. I really enjoy an love my natural hair It remind me of a baby when you first introduce them to baby food if you give something they dont like the spit it out (lol) once again thank to you all that came to my aid I will be successful.
    Last edited by Luv My Natural 531; 05-03-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP...I agree with less is more. It takes time to learn what your hair likes and dislikes. However I've found that using this rule helps me: Moisture-Water (comb/detangle hair while wet or damp for easier manipulation), Oil-Seals in the moisture (helps to combat dryness) and Style-Hair (on damp hair) with a natural butter (ex. shea butter) or gel (ex. eco gel) and set it for the week in twist (twist-out), finger coils (coil-out), box braids (braid-out) or wash-N-go.

When I style my hair I try to limit the application of products to very minimal. Remember that gels by nature are designed to add hold to the hair and in most cases will leave a hard or crunchy effect and I have found that using a little oil helps with this. Also, something as basic as, washing my hair and apply a little oil and stop at that works for me as well.

Clarifying your hair helps if you have applied a great deal of products over a period of time and as a result have product buildup.

I hope this helps...I tried to made everything plain...because I don't want add to your dilemma. Many Blessings
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady