Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Embracing Hair Texture - From a Caucasian Perspective

Interesting article on StyleList....just thought I'd share.

How I Learned to Love My Curls: From Poofy to Stick-Straight to Happy At Last
    DNA's double helix design - ingenious.
    A spring coil's power & momentum - amazing.
    The gift of nappy hair.....see a pattern emerging? :-)

Dani F is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article I suppose, but that girl gets from me as my honest initial reaction. What's next, a northern Japanese chick pale as ramen talking about how she embraced her 'dark' skin or some naturally slender girl with a slight booty talking about embracing her 'curves'?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica X View Post
    Interesting article I suppose, but that girl gets from me as my honest initial reaction. What's next, a northern Japanese chick pale as ramen talking about how she embraced her 'dark' skin or some naturally slender girl with a slight booty talking about embracing her 'curves'?
    Exotica why is that your initial reaction?

If you don't mind me asking
    http://quileutewolfpack.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpanthershay13 View Post
    Exotica why is that your initial reaction?

If you don't mind me asking
    It's annoying and I really wish people would check their privilege before acting like they made a major accomplishment that really wasn't a big deal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are saying that having looser textured hair is a privilege?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciated it. She was sharing her struggle from her own perspective and she was being transparent. Those of us with kinky coily hair do not all share the same struggles with our hair. For some its easier than others but those that reduce the value of their journey?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ester80 View Post
    So you are saying that having looser textured hair is a privilege?
    I'm not saying that, but it IS privileged, especially the most loose textures, in the eyes of society.

What I'm saying is that the white girl should not have made a big deal out of her hair. It's not even that curly, and is closer to wavy than curly, at least in the one pic. So when she makes an article about her 'struggles' with her natural texture, what is she unknowingly saying about people who have a tighter texture than hers? Especially when she states in the article that while she was frying her hair straight she'd turn around and curl it. That is what I mean by checking her privilege. Even on her 'worst' day she can still count on seeing her hair portrayed as beautiful (she even said in that article that when her hair was most unruly someone would still compliment her on it). That's the thing about privilege; to always be considered better than someone else for more closely fitting a standard. So no, I'm not going to congratulate her for essentially doing nothing. Big whoop-de-flippin-do.

I'd be reacting the same way to a beautiful girl complaining about being 'ugly' or complaining about her beauty being a hinderance, or a thin girl who's never had an extra ounce of weight on her talking about her 'struggles' with being 'fat' or not feeling as 'womanly' even though her skinny body is praised as the ideal feminine beauty. Heck, I've seen similar hair articles by white girls who simply left the artificial blonde alone and just let their actual color grow out, and how it was SUCH a BIG DEAL to 'embrace' their natural color. Like not being blonde is so horrible, so ugly, and not being blonde is comparable to something really important. *insert gag and eye roll* Check the privilege, because I'm NOT impressed.
    Last edited by Exotica X; 05-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exotica I appreciate what you're saying. Their experience is not the same--there is a history, there are unequal institutions in place now. I really do get it.

However--they have their own white experience--that's a little crazy. There are white people who create a nightmare for themselves when it comes to their hair.We'd say they don't have to do it but they believe they have to do it. I just spent the weekend with one whose hair looked perfectly fine to me the way it grows out of her head but she spent so much time every morning blow drying with a hand held and curling it with a round brush. Spraying it for days to get it to stay. Said she does that EVERY day. The finished look was a body wave--not even a curl curl. She complained that she had to do it every day and didn't feel comfortable walking out of the door without doing it. All I could do was look at her and shake my head. I wanted to say--I know why I struggled but what's your excuse--because she was definitely struggling. She said her natural hair was just too flat.

The prison can be self made by our own perceptions and expectations.

I certainly wouldn't compare her experience to mine--but it qualified as her own slice of hell.
    Last edited by NeverGiveup; 05-04-2011 at 02:42 AM.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked it. It kind of made me think about how many people - because they don't know what to do to their hair - make the wrong decisions. They straighten it to "fix" it, not realizing they're hurting it. I also liked the fact that in the end she realized that hair is much more manageable when you learn how to take care of it. I know a lot of people who relax their hair because they just don't know how to take care of the hair in its natural state. I liked the article.
    Last CFC: August 25, 2008
    BC: December 24, 2009

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast