Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which DNA Test?

Hey Ladies!

I've been tracing my ancestry lately, and I've become interested in getting a DNA test done. I've read through some of the threads, but I'm still unclear as to how you ladies decided which company to use.

It's my understanding that familytreedna provides you with a haplogroup, country matches, and also the option to attempt to match your DNA with people who are likely related to you.

AfricanAncestrydna seems to give the names of the tribes that your DNA most closely resembles.

Can you you ladies tell me why you decided to use the company that you did? Also, what is an admixture test?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I choose family tree dna because they have a bigger data base. Yes, it will give you the haplogroup you match with and the country(ies) that it is found in. This is with the mtDNA (which only follows the maternal line, both men and women can take this one). Also, family tree dna has a more test the African Ancestry DNA, which maybe useful down the road.

Admixture test breaks down your total mixture. In other words you know exactly what is in your DNA and came together to create you.
    If I say napptural and you say natural, we're talking about the same thing-differently. But if I say natural and you say re.laxer, then one of us is f*ckin wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! I didn't know that familytreedna had a bigger database.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do these tests focus on African-Americans for their database? I'm from South America, and I wondering that if I do this test that it show a higher degree of European ancestry 'cause they don't have Amerindians from my area in their database.