Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Almost four months natural..

I've been completely natural for almost four months. I'm having a hair battle but i know i'll never go back to relaxers.. My hair was so long yet thin then and i'd take thick healthy hair anyday over that crap. My issue is, I dont have a creative bone in my body when it comes to hair. I can't cornrow and I can barely twist. I want to put my hair in protective styles and leave them alone to minimize my hands being in my hair. Should i see a natural stylist? Also, I dont want to become a product junky but I feel like nothing is working to moisturize my hair except Shea butter and Jojoba oil mixed. I see a lot of natural females who hair just moves and bounces but mine seems so stiff. Am i doing something wrong?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, congratulations on almost making 4 months. and deciding to not return to relaxers. Be strong, because there might be a time in which you'll be frustrated with your hair and you'll want to damage it in frustration.

Second, for styling your hair, practice. Practice practice practice. Look at the heads here on NP, or on YouTube for ideas. Start with the simpler styles and practice doing those. Get yourself one of those big doll heads with the hair and practice on that. I recommend you find one with kinky hair, so you'll be used to working with your natural texture and not the straight stuff.

Third, a stylist is fine, but you don't want to become dependent on someone else caring for your hair. Now is the time to really work on learning your hair.

Fourth, if shea butter and jojoba oil work best on your hair, keep using those. You don't have to be a product junky, and I really don't think using a bunch of different products is even good for you or your hair (simple tends to be best).

Fifth, I don't think you're doing anything wrong, maybe just still learning about your hair, and that's okay.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the other advice you've received:

- Accept that you may not have the kind of hair texture that bounces and moves and that your hair can still be beautiful despite this.

- When applying the shea butter and jojoba oil, apply it to damp hair. Water is the only true moisturizer; oils and butters help to seal moisture in.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everyone else. I didn't know how to cornrow either but I do now. It does take practice. My hair didn't move until I got a little length. If you can't cornrow yet, do small to medium individual twists. You can take them down for a twistout. That will give you a little movement depending on the length of your hair.
    I love my hair like I love my 1 year old nephew. He's so hard headed, but so dang on cute!

Last CFC 5-22-10
    BC 8-22-10