Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Breakage in the Middle of My Head!

Okay, so I notice that I have fuzzies (or, what I thought were fuzzies) in my head. Not unusual, right? Well, while twisting my hair, I began to fluff up the fuzzies and discover that it's actually broken off hair! It's in the front, there's a chunk out of my hairline on one side that's pissin me off, and the broken hairs, it's like it goes in a 'U' in the top of my head, from the front to the middle of my head. Broken hairs. ARRRGGHHH!

What can I do? I keep it moisturized, I use organic products, I keep it twists basically, which I thought was a protective style. I put Jamaican black castor oil on my hairline everyday. I made sure to trim (sometimes cut) my hair to avoid split ends.

I'm so frustrated right now!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think hair breakage comes from a lot of factors - are you rough with your hands? i was rough with my hair and it would break off constantly. do you braid your hair at night to protect it? stress can also lead to hair falling out

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep it in twists all of the time. I also deep condition it and drink a lot of water. I take Vit. E, Biotin, Calcium and Iron pills. I try and watch my hands, lol.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My crown has always been a different, coarser texture than the rest of my head. Protection has been the key and (for me)locks have been the only solution: not going natural, not protective styles, locks.

If I looked at my crown it hurt and broke off. If i inspected the hair strands they were split with holes and splits upon splits. Now, that area is down my back and caught up with the rest of my head for the first time.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deborahG View Post
    You have a good hair care regimen. Are you using protein in your deep conditioner? That sometimes causes problems for some people. Do you have an lot of stress or underlying health problems? Hair will often reveal problems that are going on internally. Has your hair ever broken off like this before? If so, try to evaluate what was going on--health, environment, relationships, that might have caused a disruption in your hair growth.

Good luck, sis
    Thanks!

No, I don't use protein at all. Me and protein don't get along. It's never broken off like this before. Late last week, I got some blood work back from the Doc that revealed that my Vit. D is still low, despite me taking massive amounts already and that I'm still anemic, despite the fact that I take iron pills *sigh* I thought it was under control. ARRGGGHH!!!!

Now, I'm on even more Vit. D and will see my primary doc friday about the anemia. This is a dumb question: Will Vit. D make your hair break off? I know anemia can.

I have thought about locks, but I like the fro-eyness of it all, if that makes any sense! LOL! But, I really am considering it. I guess I have hand in hair disease or something. I don't know if they'll look right on me, either.
    Last edited by Mia_Black; 05-23-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like my hair. Bunning has been my only sucessful solution. I usually rock a high bun, so all of the hair on my crown is tucked right away. My texture is twice as thick and twice as curly on the crown of my head and used to break off like CRAZY. I've just learned to baby it, trim a little bit more often, and keep it movin. I don't have time to stress over one section. I treat it like the rest, but take a little bit more care and product while washing/detangling/styling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia_Black View Post
    Thanks!

No, I don't use protein at all. Me and protein don't get along. It's never broken off like this before. Late last week, I got some blood work back from the Doc that revealed that my Vit. D is still low, despite me taking massive amounts already and that I'm still anemic, despite the fact that I take iron pills *sigh* I thought it was under control. ARRGGGHH!!!!

Now, I'm on even more Vit. D and will see my primary doc friday about the anemia. This is a dumb question: Will Vit. D make your hair break off? I know anemia can.
    Definitely your persistent anemia is playing a role. This was true with me and once I started with adequate iron, my nails and hair are so much stronger. Vitamin D not so much. Thyroid disease can also cause weak hair - were you tested for that? Good Luck

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia_Black View Post
    Thanks!

I have thought about locks, but I like the fro-eyness of it all, if that makes any sense! LOL! But, I really am considering it. I guess I have hand in hair disease or something. I don't know if they'll look right on me, either.
    Are you also taking extra Vitamin C? That will help your body absorb the iron supplements.
    Yes, I'm a believer.
    And I'm officially a licensed "hair braider" in my state...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I have found out the reason for my hair breakage and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I guess because so much is going on in my body right now.

I have fibromyalgia and I've found out that it causes hair loss. I even started getting little bumps near my hairline that I can literally peel off and that's caused by the fibro, too. The good news is that it's temporary hair loss and it will grow back. Ever since I've started my vitamin regimen and added Biotin to the mix and the breakage/shedding checked up a some. Hopefully, it'll check up more. My hair is growing like a weed, but unfortunately the breakage/shedding....UGH!

I'm just relieved that I know the cause now and that it's not something permanent. It sounds weird, but I'm happy I know why my hair is going through so many changes, because I just feel better knowing what I'm working with. The unknown element was stressing me and stress is the last thing I need. (stress triggers the fibro, which triggers the hair loss. UGH!)