Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    these things are NOT changes in hair texture, they are changes in the APPEARANCE of your hair. Unless you had a hormonal change (which is a possibility, particularly with women) your hair is growing out of your head the same way it always has.... (sorry this thread is driving me a little bit nuts)
    By texture do you mean how the hair feels (cottony, silky, wiry, etc.) or curl pattern?

I don't know about any other poster, but I'm not saying that my hair now grows out of my hair with a different curl pattern (assuming that that's what you mean). I'm saying that if I compare my roots to my ends, there's a difference. My roots are wavy-curlyish and my ends are curly to coily. And that difference in my ends has changed from the 3+ years since I BC'd. If your hair appears one way at one time and then another at another time, isn't that a "change"? Also parts of my hair that clumped in smaller sections before, clump in larger sections now. The pattern is the same, but the size is different so I don't know what you would call that.

Also I know that hair can have simple changes in appearance do to styling but I'm not just referring to that. My hair in the front goes between s-curls, curls, wavyish, and coils depending on what products and styling techniques I've used. But my average wash n'go now compared to previous ones looks different. Not just a length difference but how my hair curls/doesn't coil.

I just went to look in my fotki, and (even with so-so pictures) I can tell a noticeable different in my curl pattern for the bulk of my hair. I don't know what caused it, but I also know that I'm not blind .
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what Soul Rebel is alluding to is the fact that if you are doing any type of manipulation or adding product to your hair and noticing a difference in your hair, then the change is due to the added factor. If your hair right after rinsing the shampoo out (no manipulation and no product) used to be 4ZZZZZZ and now right after rinsing it is 3B THAT is a change to your hair type. However, if you add gel and your curls used to be the size of the coil inside of a pen, and now they are the size of a pen, then that is due to the product and application. Women have hormonal changes all of the time which can cause changes to the hair, i.e. someone who has a thyroid disorder may notice that they hair is thinning or people who undergo chemo and notice that their hair grew back curly when it used to be straight.

HTH
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these things are NOT changes in hair texture, they are changes in the APPEARANCE of your hair. Unless you had a hormonal change (which is a possibility, particularly with women) your hair is growing out of your head the same way it always has.... (sorry this thread is driving me a little bit nuts)
    I second you Soul Rebel!

As one who had natural hair for the first 20 years of my life and took care of the (natural) hair of different family members, I can assure the posters on this thread that the APPEARANCE of hair changes according to enviromental factors, the treatment it receives, age of the hair as well as its distance form it anchor point - i.e. the scalp.

Pretty much as stretching the hair then going out into a humid enviroment will cause the hair to respond by resuming it bends (be they coils, curls or zig zags), does not mean the texture has changed, length doesn't cause changes either.

A lifetime of natural hair meant that I knew what to do with my hair to create the required response for particular styles. Such as trimming to decrease the 'velco' effect and increase shine. Trimming didn't change the 'texture', it just removed a section of hair that had responded negatively to being abused - but it did make a big difference to the appearance. Fro uber frizz to braid waves - created by plaiting damp hair - again, no texture change.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akomas_Angel View Post
    I think what Soul Rebel is alluding to is the fact that if you are doing any type of manipulation or adding product to your hair and noticing a difference in your hair, then the change is due to the added factor. If your hair right after rinsing the shampoo out (no manipulation and no product) used to be 4ZZZZZZ and now right after rinsing it is 3B THAT is a change to your hair type. However, if you add gel and your curls used to be the size of the coil inside of a pen, and now they are the size of a pen, then that is due to the product and application. Women have hormonal changes all of the time which can cause changes to the hair, i.e. someone who has a thyroid disorder may notice that they hair is thinning or people who undergo chemo and notice that their hair grew back curly when it used to be straight.

HTH
    I understand this . My naked hair with no products and no manipulation looks different than it did during my first year of naturalness. I also do wash n'gos most of the time and I've noticed that how my hair reacts to the same products and techniques is consistently different than before. I'm not saying that I went from being a 4z to a 3B , but half of my hair was 4a (naked) that looked like 3c with gel, and then it was a 3c (naked) that stayed 3c with gel, and now it's like 3c/4a (naked) and becomes 4a with gel . I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it may be more common if you're not sitting solidly within a hair type. A portion of my hair is 4b but with product it can look like a less tight 4b, and that hasn't changed at all. But this top/front/crown section keeps moving left or right (even when naked) on the hair typing scale. I've always had a had time pinpointing a good chunk of my hair.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you describe is certainly my experience. I've gone from TWA to MBL. My hair is my hair. BUT because of length, it can look different, especially after a wash, when the weight of the water adds to the weight of the hair. The curl pattern can sometimes look looser. But it looks different depending on styling, too. But when it's dry (not wet) or shrunken, it's clearly the same hair I've always had.

If I get a moment, I'll post a couple of pics.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234