Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions about coily hair! Also, photos of long, not manipulated coily hair!

My hair consists of those tiny Os. They're really small ranging from pen spring coils to coffee stirrer sized. I've been looking everywhere for a longhair photo of this specific hair type. All I see are manipulated and stretched hair in hair photos. I want to see how long, moisturized, coily hair looks, without it being stretched and what not. Basically, Iwanna see how my hair would look like later on. Does anyone have a photo of this?

And, I finally realized that my coils are just my hair. My mom keeps on saying that "Omg, look at your hair. They're in coils. U need to comb it out. IT's gonna take you FOREVER to detangle. It's dreading, what are you doing?" And, at first, I was wary, but then I realized what she said didnt make sense. You can easily stretch my coils by pulling on it, so it is in fact not dreading. It's not tangled, you can move your hand back and forth easily in it. Coils are just how my hair grows. In fact, I don't even comb it. My hair is neck length when stretched, and ear length when in its natural state. And I don't understand why people comb their coily hair. How can you comb a coil, it makes no sense. It just goes back to its COILY state. And combing my type of hair will lead to damage. I just finger detangle and that works fine for me.

But, I might end up using a wide tooth comb as a detangler (in the shower) when it gets longer, cause I'm assuming that once my hair grows more, finger detangling will become harder?

Anyway, does anyone know if when my coily hair gets some length, will it start to hang? I would love 2 see some photos!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, I'm with you! I would love to see some pics too, but I don't know if there are going to be many that fit your qualifications. By unmanipulated to you mean naked hair, like a wash n'go without any gel or styling cream? Also long coily hair rarely looks long (without stretching) because coils cause extreme shrinkage .

I don't know if she meets your qualifications but the first person I think of as a ultimate coily-head is Nisus

http://www.itsjusthair.com/2011/05/r...-of-curls.html
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Suzi_Q is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    OP, I'm with you! I would love to see some pics too, but I don't know if there are going to be many that fit your qualifications. By unmanipulated to you mean naked hair, like a wash n'go without any gel or styling cream? Also long coily hair rarely looks long (without stretching) because coils cause extreme shrinkage .

I don't know if she meets your qualifications but the first person I think of as a ultimate coily-head is Nisus

http://www.itsjusthair.com/2011/05/r...-of-curls.html
    Hey she looks like my hair twin lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Wow, that's really similar to my hair as well!
    OP, my hair is bra strap length at the back (I have layers). If I do a wash and go it shrinks down to about shoulder length. Braiding it at night in large braids (no combing! just grab sections and braid) stretches it out but takes away the coilyness.
    As my hair got longer the coils at the roots got stretched out so they look sort of wavy. The ends are still unabashedly coily.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nisus' hair is lovely, but those aren't penspring to coffee-stirrer sized coils. Those are much bigger than what the OP is describing.

OP, it sounds like you have my hair. I don't know if you have my shrinkage as well but my coils shrink well over 80% in the front and top where they're most predominant. Think of a row of Slinky toys stacked on their ends. When left unstretched and unmanipulated, they're going to stay stacked...meaning they're not going to hang, move, or flow in the wind. I have a good 6 inches on top of my head but because of shrinkage, it only looks like I have an inch. When I wet it the water makes it hang (somewhat) but shrinkage always wins in the end. I would have to put super-heavy products on it, and then wait at least a day for it to air-dry, and EVEN THEN shrinkage will still be in effect. And when people talk about gravity making coils looser, I really don't think that applies to penspring/coffee-stirrer hair in its unmanipulated state.

All of this is to say: This hair type only truly shows its length when it's manipulated or stretched out. That's just how it be. I have to head on out but I may write more later...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my daughter's hair twin (almost).

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Msgg or Whitley Gilbert as hair twins. Y'all remember pooh bear, she had very similar hair to what the OP is describing as well.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

My hair is sorta like that on top, except the coils are smaller.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't wear my hair any other way except stretched out. I have a mix between 4a/4b, because my hair does not get super defined like Poohbear or Whitley who are true 4a although we are in the same hair family. But I do have coils that are the size of coffee stirrers. You are welcome to check my fotki out.

For the most part, most of us who are type 4 keep our hair stretched out because we are able to retain length better that way, and reduce knots and tangles. So it is going to be hard to find someone who fits your description. Most of the other naturals with type 4a hair that I can think of have their albums locked up or they got rid of them (Pooh and Whit Whit).

Some type fours that I can think of off the top of my head:

(had to take the other vid out because she used the blow dryer)
    She uses heat and colors so I think that may have stretched her hair pattern a little bit

don't let the screen shot fool you ^ she has coffee stirrer coils
    Last edited by Ms-gg; 06-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another video showing her coils:

^
    Sigh
    Last edited by Ms-gg; 06-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast