Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Perming NOT the Norm?

I was just reading the Should I get a perm to make my mom happy thread and I felt really bad for the OP. I grew up in a home where perming was NOT the norm. I didnt get my first perm at 16 ( she had no choice but to let me do it at that time I was old enough to make the decision on what to do with my hair)and my mom damn near disowned me.

I was just wondering if there are other people that are on here where perming is NOT the norm and where being natural is favored. when I went back natural my mom loved it and now that im growing locs ( she has locs past her bootay) her life is complete

I feel like Im the only one. I feel so bad when I hear about people's family giving them grief. Well I kinda had the same thing only backwards...
    Last edited by bktrinvincy; 06-14-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't the norm in my home either. I could've sworn that at some point my mother put a relaxer in my hair during my teenage years. I asked her about this a month or so ago, and she said she never did. She said the most she ever did was use a hot comb on my sister and I, and even those times were far and few between. Based on that, I didn't get my first perm until I was around 20 and at it was a jheri curl not a straightener.

I don't know if I'd say being natural was favoured in our home, but it definitely wasn't something that was looked down on. As it stands now, my mother, sister and I are all natural. The men folk too. That's just the way it is.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never had a perm. My parents would be seriously disappointed if I ever got one.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
    Never had a perm. My parents would be seriously disappointed if I ever got one.
    yeah my mom was very disappointed but I was a teenager and I wanted to fit in with everyone else ..I didnt take me long to regret it and didnt stay permed for long. But my parents are both very power to the people and not conforming to Babylon so.....My mom never had a perm and my sister also permed but didnt perm for long either

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you who never had to deal with all the drama around your hair and its texture, consider yourselves lucky. I didn't get on the perm wagon until I was 12 and I consider myself very lucky compared to all these women who were permed from preschool on. Then again, they didn't have kiddie kits when I was a kid...and the press-and-curl hadn't yet become foreign technique...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get a perm until I was in high school, And now my mom, sister , daughter and I are natural. We all had them but opted to go natural.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing up my Mom never allowed my sisters and I to perm our hair. She did run the hot comb through our hair for church on Sundays and I didn't start routinely getting my hair bone straight by Beveling/Flat Ironed until I was 12/13 years old. My Mom likes my natural hair, but still doesn't see the harm in pressing. Currently she is growing out her perm. Hopefully she will stick to it.
    Last Time Flat Ironing mid-April 2010
    Big Chopmid-June 2010~have not looked back since.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bktrinvincy View Post
    yeah my mom was very disappointed but I was a teenager and I wanted to fit in with everyone else ..I didnt take me long to regret it and didnt stay permed for long. But my parents are both very power to the people and not conforming to Babylon so.....My mom never had a perm and my sister also permed but didnt perm for long either
    Lol kindred spirits. My mom has done everything under the sun to her hair but by the time she had me and my sis she and my dad were of the same mind about conforming and "racism and white supremacy" I can't see myself ever getting one.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Those of you who never had to deal with all the drama around your hair and its texture, consider yourselves lucky. I didn't get on the perm wagon until I was 12 and I consider myself very lucky compared to all these women who were permed from preschool on. Then again, they didn't have kiddie kits when I was a kid...and the press-and-curl hadn't yet become foreign technique...
    good point I never considered myself lucky until I saw all the stories on the board of ladies feeling bad or having to fight over something that none of us can help being born with...Im learning alot about the other side and now Im not so quick to judge because Im seeing that there are ALOT of us (black women on a whole not just the ladies on the board) that want to just be ourselves but cant and dont have the support to become such

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I begged my mom for a perm when I turned 12 [7th grade]. Prior to that, it was press and curls all the way. Mind you, my mom was a beautician and tried to talk me out of it. She told me the only way she'd go along with it was if her friend in the neighborhood [who went to beauty school w/her] did them.

As LBell said, back then kiddie perms weren't around. Blow out kits only arrived on the scene when the fro became popular [the first time!]. Hard to believe now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast