Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I did my bc I got the majority of compliments from other races. My place of work is also predominately white. I can't say that I have received any negative comments from my own people. However, it wasn't until my hair started to grow out when I was receiving compliments from them.

It's raining in D.C. today and I didn't have an umbrella and wasn't in any rush to get out of the rain. I love that!
    Make every moment, a teachable one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always feel like I'm on the outside of these types of convos. I've been natural for 22 long ones and have recieved as many hateful comments about my hair from African Americans and Blacks as I have from non-Blacks. One of the white guys I knew called me pube head in high school which spiraled out of control but in the same week an AA girl told me to "do something with that nappy ish." Its weird. But I must say that most of the things said about my hair are compliments and questions of general interest (Why is her hair straight but you hair is, um, not? Can you use it as a pillow? Can I touch your hair? How long you been natural? I like the 'fro! Didn't you have dreads last week).
    "Becoming perfect overtime"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CottonCrown View Post
    Many (far too many) black folks hate their real hair texture, and when they see a natural, it reminds them of what they don't like about themselves. Thus, the visceral reaction.

IMHO
    Like you're letting out the secret of nappy hair Maybe they figure that some non-Blacks don't know that our hair isn't naturally straight (many don't) and when they see you with your freak flag...er, I mean afro...flying high you're making the collective look bad and outing all black women everywhere. lol
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the compliments I've gotten from white folks have been along the lines of how "cool" my hair is. Especially with locks or BAA.

They mean well, but to me that's not really a compliment. Saying someone's hair looks good or is cute or pretty is a compliment.

So I take it with a grain of salt.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a Hot Topic video on exactly this for my YouTube channel, Cherish My Daughter--very interesting responses.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

kell is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people just like what they like and then theirs the black people who believe they are ugly and inferior. They have the slave mentality and they think they need color contacts and perms and hair weavr down their back to look like and be like whitey. Whats funny is the white man and other races can care less. Anyone can see a person is going to look better with their own hair so thats why they complement you and the one with the long blond hair weave they laugh at because they look stupid and they don't even know it.

YuYu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveup View Post
    I did a Hot Topic video on exactly this for my YouTube channel, Cherish My Daughter--very interesting responses.
    LOVED this vid. Got to read all the comments.
    I don't need a relaxer my hair is NOT stressed out!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black people are conditioned at an early age to believe that there is something "wrong" with their natural hair and the sight of someone pridefully wearing their hair the "wrong" way is very threatening to their idea of beauty and femininity. It takes a certain amount of mental maturity for these people to come around (if they ever do).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you im about six months natural and i love it stay strong sis
    Last edited by Naturaly; 06-17-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: misspelled

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't got a chance to watch the video, but I will once little man goes to bed. And mimikins you hit the nail on the head! I seriously had to get past my own crazy thoughts before I decided to go natural, too! We all have this preconceived notion of what the black woman should or should not look like, and we go from there! I have noticed one too many women with crazy weave.. I have had my hair looking like a hot mess and being damaged... to having dreams about me going bald from relaxers, to have me say enough is enough!! I am enjoying everyone's opinions on this post!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast