Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Protective Style?....not so protective

I love to wear my hair loose. Half the time I sleep in braids (about 10, before bed), but I always do a braidout or wash n go when I wake up.

I thought I should give my hair a break, so I challenged myself to keep a protective style in for a week or two. I did about 30 twists (smaller than usual, but not micro) and only lasted 6 days. Over the course of those days I washed once and cowashed once because I exercise several hours daily and my hair gets really gross!

Taking my twists out was a nightmare!! I have never had so many knots and I thought a few of the twists were a few days away from becoming permanent locs. It was so upsetting!! I slept in a scarf every night and was very gentle when I washed (making sure to only massage the scalp). I mean, I thought protective styles should protect my hair?? Instead, even though I was gentle and slow, knots were ripping pieces out as I tried to untwist them. ):

Hmm I wonder what I am doing wrong??? All I used to twist my hair was coconut oil.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wash and cowash probably contributed to your near locdom experience

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in seeing the responses to this one. I have a similar problem to the OP, in that my twists always begin to loc after a few washes, no matter what I do. It makes it impossible to wear twists for any length of time, as I can't go more than a week between washes without experiencing scalp trouble.

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah I agree with tenachie...putting water on the hair can help the curls to bunch up even more into that loc process.
    Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post
    The wash and cowash probably contributed to your near locdom experience
    I agree with this. I don't wash my twists at all. I do spritz them if needed.

ETA: And I do have wash weekly, so I take them down. I've already heard the horror stories of washing twists.
    I love my hair like I love my 1 year old nephew. He's so hard headed, but so dang on cute!

Last CFC 5-22-10
    BC 8-22-10

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah washing twists twice within 6 days is a recipe for a monster take down. If you like washing you hair often, try wearing a stocking cap over your hair, or pulling them in a loose bun so they stay stretched. Another idea is to use flat twists or cornrows instead - easier to wash without fear of tangling. Or you could just do the PS for the week and take them down to wash. HTH
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems very common for small twists.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Somewhere in Ohio where tornados are almost null and void
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washing the hair while in twists or braids stimulates the hair, and can cause it to lock up. When I wash my braids, I look through right after or let it dry a bit, and rebraid any that I feel could use a little help. By doing this, I can keep my braids in way longer, and have no problems with locking, or even really bad tangles =)
    Why don't you take a look at some of the challenges? I'm in the "one year in braids" challenge. You get a lot of advice and tips on how to make them last without tangling and problems.
    Hope this helps!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup. washing in twists for me is always a disaster...i finally decided to stop.

i just dont leave my twists in for as long anymore. ive only been wearing week long twists and washing on the weekend. for me, ive found that it's better that way. this helps me to not go too long between washes. i also do medium sized twists now so it doesnt take too long and so i dont feel like taking them down and washing every week is a waste. haha. t
    formerly runrunrunner

leave fear where you're standing
    and i'll follow your lead <3

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with the washing being the culprit. also if you crossed strands that could be another reason.
    the only way i can get away with washing twists is if they are medium large

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast