Suzi_Q is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Braiders Only Know Braids.. Not Hair Care.. (My trip today)

This isn't for all braiders let me say that first.

So today I went to get my hair braided, since I've been a loose natural and being on this site I've learned to wash and detangle my own hair before I go get braids in. I also make sure they go easy on my edges.

However others are not so knowledgeable. Today I watched two hair massacres..

A girl came in with her edges tore up and requested to get cornrows (small ones). As the style progress I could notice her edges tightening up, her hands holding on to it while the braider plated the back I didn't feel bad for her, I felt bad for her edges! Why didn't the braider say anything, why didn't she? I think the braider didn't care, she was getting paid to do her job. I would have suggested another style but eh whatever she can see her edges are ate up, and obviously don't care.

The next one was a lady getting her hair washed. I watched her wash her hair just shampooing, no conditioning and definitely no detangling. She threw the towel on her head and rubbed it like crazy tangling it even more. Then grabbed the blow dryer with the comb attachment and went IN!!! Hair was flying everywhere, even towards me (yuck). No parting, heat protectant.. Nothing. It made me cringe everytime she took that attachment and went from root to tip pulling up.

I can't really blame the braiders, they are licensed braiders not cosmetologists or hair consultants. But I would think people would be more aware to the care of their own hair when it's being done, but I guess not.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame both the braiders AND the clients/customers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodness this makes my head hurt. Im tender headed. I guess they are no different from some of us and our chemical burns once upon a time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica X View Post
    I blame both the braiders AND the clients/customers.
    Me too. How much hair care knowledge do you have to have to know that a styling procedure that necessitates you 'holding on' can't be good? smh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ With that said I do agree also.. that both are to blame I just think that both had to be uncomfortable cause I was for them. Why not say anything? I'm not going to let anyone eff up my hair I guess beauty is pain to them..

Pain is pain in my book, and it's not going down.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyn3266 View Post
    Goodness this makes my head hurt. Im tender headed. I guess they are no different from some of us and our chemical burns once upon a time.
    OMG you should have seen my face when I was watching, you would have thought I was watching a horror flick lol.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, and it's the braiders that continue to cause confusion among legislature when laws are designed to address natural hair. BC lawmakers are not 'us' -meaning nappy us- they dont understand the difference and when braiders get regulated, there's less opportunity for natural stylists as well. It's a constant battle and two very different things.

Your experience is just an example of the huge ignorance that exists towards natural hair care and it's so real. There's so much work to do...sigh....
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 07-02-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braiders Only Know Braids.. Not Hair Care.

Yep. That's why they are called braiders and not stylists or cosmetologists. It's a specialty field. A cardiologist isn't a pediatrician. Know what you want and go to the appropriate person. **shrug**

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yipes! That sounds like a week long headache.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzWife View Post
    Yipes! That sounds like a week long headache.
    I know the girl with the cornrows had to have a headache when I could see her edges do that skin wrinkling thing when your hair is too tight from a far.. What was even crazy is that her friend was with her watching and said nothing, like it was the norm.

I really think that braiders need a little bit more knowledge on hair care especially if they are going to wash, blow dry and comb through hair. Know what is too tight, and know what too tight hair obviously do. Where I use to get my locs done was an awesome establishment, she was a braider but she knew her stuff. She did consultations before even touching your hair. However she was expensive.

I'm just glad I knew to prep my own self before going. I walked in with my hair clean, conditioned and detangled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast