Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HELP! Sour scalp

My scalp seems to get sour to me very fast even after I wash no matter the shampoo I use. I've tried ACV rise/soak. After a wash it seems like my scalp is in need of another wash almost a week later. Which is fine--but I twist my hair because my attempts at latching have been unsucessful. If I could latch correctly, I would ditch twisting. I've gone periods of time where I will leave my hair semi freeform and wash more frequently, but this still seems to be happening much faster than it should. Could I be doing something wrong? Advice is welcome.
    Thanks
    -Formerly known as Nappirouts-
    ~Locked and Luvin' It!!!!!!~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. I have to wash my hair frequently or I will be walking around smelling like a wet dog. I know that it may be frustrating your attempts to loc, but what you may want to do is semi-freeform in the warmer months. Then go back to a more regulated twisted schedule.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's probably more because your hair is drying fast enough before getting all bunched up. every leave a face cloth balled up wet overnight on the sink overnight? it's pretty much the same principal

can you possibly let your hair dry in several sections, keeping the roots exposed as much possible? i think strategically placed ponytails could help

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know what you mean by "sour" cuz that's how my hair gets w/in a week of washing. I'm gonna blaming it on my working out a lot and how much I sweat during sleep.

Lulzasaurus, I think you mean that it's because OP's hair is NOT drying fast enough before getting all bunched up, and I agree.

I latch every 2 months and wash every week at least. If you're worried about how your retwists look you can practice latching on a loc in the back. Go over some youtube videos and take your time. I messed up the first loc I ever latched, but now I think I do a pretty decent job!
    What made latching muuch easier for me was making a loc tool described by NubianLockedPrincess. Actually, her lathing tutorials are pretty good so she is one to def check out for help.

All in all, no matter how you maintain, or if you freeform, you may just have to wash more often.
    My album

password: gemela

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by 'sour'? I've never heard that term in reference to hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica X View Post
    What do you mean by 'sour'? I've never heard that term in reference to hair.
    The best way I can describe sour is to use a reference that someone else has used in this post so far, a smell similar to when you take a damp washcloth and bunch it up, and leave it like that overnight. Sour is the best word I can use to describe it lol. Partially rancid?

@Akomas, I may just have to freeform, because this smell is not going to work for me.

@ Luza, I have not tried drying in sections, but I think that is a good idea that I will give a try. a bunch of very small ponytails maybe? I don't know how that would dry things faster,except for the parts? Should I invest in a hair dryer? Using your washcloth reference, drying it really fast should eliminate the problem entirely huh?

@Venetter, what was that loc tool?
    -Formerly known as Nappirouts-
    ~Locked and Luvin' It!!!!!!~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhhhhh. I get it now. I just call it 'funky'.

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a hair dryer to make sure my locz are dry. A lot of people are against using them, but I'd rather make sure my babies are dry to keep them from mildewing.

Also, make sure you rinse your hair of shampoos and conditioners well.
    Last edited by Himmy; 07-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sour is most likely mildew. Allow your hair to dry completely whenever it gets wet. Don't bunch up wet hair in a ponytail. It restricts air flow. Do a really long ACV soak to get rid of any existing mildew and follow with a clarifying shampoo or cleanser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Himmy View Post
    I use a hair dryer to make sure my locz are dry. A lot of people are against using them...
    Grown people can use whatever they want on their hair.

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Exactly chacha!
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast