Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good point!

thank you kellyvonn, i appled for two jobs there!
    Last edited by Vavoon; 07-20-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought of this thread when I read this interview with PayPal founder Peter Thiel. For the past year or two I've been wondering where the next economic bubble will burst and Thiel makes an interesting case for it being in the higher education sector. It's getting very costly to attend college, even the cheaper state schools; it's twice the amount now to attend the state school I went to over 10 years ago.

We're entering a time when a degree is not a sure ticket to anything, like it was 20 years or more ago. I think no matter whether one goes to a college/university, a trade school, self-learns or starts a business, it's about being innovative, open-minded and creative.
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Padme32 View Post
    I thought of this thread when I read this interview with PayPal founder Peter Thiel. For the past year or two I've been wondering where the next economic bubble will burst and Thiel makes an interesting case for it being in the higher education sector.
    I like Peter Thiel. We're on the same page when it comes to entrepreneurship vs college.

Cool article: Peter Thiel Gives Whiz Kids $100K To Quit College, Start Businesses

If I was advising a high school senior/college freshman, I would tell them to go ahead and get a degree. BUT start a business also WHILE they are in school. It will give them a good idea of their own personal power and potential. If they see that they can generate $10k, $20k from their own efforts, they will see the workplace differently.
    Last edited by chachadiva; 08-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    If I was advising a high school senior/college freshman, I would tell them to go ahead and get a degree. BUT start a business also WHILE they are in school. It will give them a good idea of their own personal power and potential. If they see that they can generate $10k, $20k from their own efforts, they will see the workplace differently.
    ITA. There is a YT vid of Steve Jobs (who dropped out of college) speaking at a college graduation (if I find it, I will post it) where his main point was having a passion for whatever it is that you do. The passion, and not the $$, will keep you going over the long haul.
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post
    good point!

thank you kellyvonn, i appled for two jobs there!
    Good sis! Keep us posted.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Do you have an HD digital video camera and editing software? If so, I would advise you to start making your own mini-documentaries. Maybe around 20-30 minutes long. Have two "real people" subjects and maybe one expert and there you go. Grab some writers that you know and someone with a great voice to do the voiceover work. Use royalty free music for the soundtrack.
    I wanted to underscore the above point. If you really want to make documentaries, then make them. You have to be aggressive and make it happen.

I'm sure you know the Awkward Black Girl Series. Issa Rae knew what she wanted to do and she went out and created it. After creating 7 episodes, she needed more money. Look at her Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-black-girl Read the comments. Not only did she create a TV show, she also created a community.

Now imagine if she never had the gumption to make that very first episode? If you want it, then create it.
    Last edited by chachadiva; 08-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ your so right. i need more confidence in my film career. issa rae is my inspiration. i love what she does.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234