Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coloring Hair Before Sisterlocks

I'm getting my sisterlocks installed next month and I would really like to color my hair a reddish tone prior to that.

My main concern is that I know you aren't supposed to use conditioner during your first months with sisterlocks... so what do you do to keep your hair healthy post-dye?

I have colored my hair before (though not in at least a year) but I always upped my dc treatments to limit any damage. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in this case though.

Any advice?
    Hair Blog Updated 6/16

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you can dye ASAP, so you have a couple of 2-3 weeks before getting the SLs, that way you'll have time to dc between the two.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the directions I'm leaning towards. I'm supposed to get them installed 8/19 (which is the day after my 2 year BC anniversary) and my tester locks are getting installed this Saturday so I was thinking if I dyed it this week, then that would give me almost a month before installation to get it back on track.

I was starting to think that I was fooling myself that this could work though lol
    Hair Blog Updated 6/16

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I don't [box] dye my hair,but I had SLs put in 5 years ago and did a lot of research on it. The advice generally given is to either dye prior to SLs or wait until they're settled in which can be anything from 6 months to 2 years depending on the individual hair type.

Hopefully some dyers will chime in, Denny has SLs and colours her hair maybe she this thread and let you know about her experience.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Angelyc,

I wanted to colour hair, but waited until after my locs were installed and were settled. My hair is soft in places, and when I coloured my hair years ago it loosed my curl pattern.

I coloured my hair at the one year mark, and noticed a very very slight loosing of the curl pattern at the ends of my locs. I think the hardest thing about the process is the washing to get the cemicals out as that loosens locs. I had my hair coloured at Aveda in Holborn, and think having it done professionally meant that I have stuffed any issues.

If I could do it again, I would colour before locking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Sisterlocked date: 09 Nov 2009
    Blog & Albums: www.huntresslocs.com
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/HuntressLocs
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/huntresslocs
    Challenges: 1 Year 1 Product Started-Nov 2009 - Finished Nov 2010- Shampoo with T/Gel once every two weeks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my hair highlighted the day before I got sisterlocs with no problems and I didn't do anything special to my hair afterwards....

My mother has had her hair dyed before and retouched after her sisterlocs were installed and she did not do anything special to her hair either....

I guess it depends on the persons hair...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    loose to sisterloced-->8 YEAR NAPPIVERSERY OCTOBER 2011!!!!
    http://public.fotki.com/Netta1/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SL consultant coloured my hair before she installed the sisterlocks, both were done on the same day. I started using conditioner probably around the sixth month, however I only do colour touchups once or twice a year. Since last summer I stopped DIYing with the colour and stick to the professionals.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you ladies! I think I'm going to just dye it tomorrow and DC it after then ask my consultant if she wants me to do anything special to it when I get my tester locks Saturday.

I keep finding the smallest things to worry about in my excitement to be locked. lol
    Hair Blog Updated 6/16

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had my sisterlocks for a little over a year. I wish I had died before I got them. I did recently die my hair back in April and did not get the color I wanted. I now have to wait a little longer because with my texture of hair I don't want the pattern to loosen. My consultant recommends to wait until more of them loc!!! I am so impatient cause I really want to color it again.

I do have a question to other sister locked ladies....do you find that your locks slipped a little even after a year???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't dyed my hair, but I know I still had a some slippage up to the 18 mths 2 yr mark, so I suspect it depends on your hair.

DeBe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast