Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What To Do Now??

This August will start my last year in college. I'm getting a BA in Psychology. Reading the "College is a scam" thread got me thinking a little harder on what I can do NOW to make myself more marketable upon/before graduation. I currently working in a mental health facility (ie schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder, etc) but that is not what I want to do long term. I pretty much hate it, as my position does very little. I also work part time as a caseworker for a domestic abuse shelter. This is closer to what I want to do, minus the shelter part. In addition, I'm really interested in child abuse. I currently work 60+ hours a week and that will have to change when school starts, so while I will have a smaller income (very small), I'll have more time to pursue trainings, etc. Should I try a blog, YT page, what?? It would be nice to do something that makes money, since I have a 3 year old and really need it.
    Last edited by *~MzDiva~*; 07-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."

Twitter me this: http://twitter.com/DivaNTransition

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Define what you want and investigate the people who are currently doing that job. Try contacting some of them and see what they recommend as a next step or a possible path.

I don't see how a blog/YT page will help in obtaining a domestic/child abuse position since those area don't involve media directly. Of course, if it's your goal to position yourself as an expert on those topics or if you plan on writing a book or something, then maybe it would make sense. It can't hurt.

What specifically do you want to do in the field of domestic/child abuse? Do you want to provide counseling? Do you want to be a researcher in the field? Will you need a graduate degree?

Or were you asking about doing a monetized blog/YT in some other field altogether.

Omaha. Yes Black people live here...a few at least
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to eventally get a Masters, but not immediately following graduation. I would like to facilitate workshops on the above issues, promote awareness and use research to implement prevention programs. I would definitely like to become an expert eventually and provide consulting services.
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."

Twitter me this: http://twitter.com/DivaNTransition

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you looked into Community Relations jobs at domestic/child abuse organizations? Jobs like this: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/cpX22WDjxkh4

Is there any way to do workshops at your current job?

winnie is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered becoming a child and adolescent psychiatrist? You can do all of that plus clinical work. And you'll have the credentials to position yourself as an expert on children's mental health and trauma recovery. Medical school isn't easy but it's very rewarding. You'll have to do a residency and fellowship afterwards but you get paid a salary during that time.

Or you could work for child protective services...in my state most of the cps workers have B.S. degrees so that's something that you could do after graduation.