Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loose Coils

I have 4b hair. I'm wondering if there is a product that I can use to loosen up my coils a little, like a conditioner maybe. I finally started to see some growth but it still looks like I have a TWA.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope. no product will help with that besides a chemical fire cream of doom and gloom.

try doing large braids or twists over night. that will help stretch your hair out. the next morning just take out, fluff with your fingers and go

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah there isn't anything that can loosen a curl pattern permanently that can be discussed here. NP is about embracing and working with your curl pattern instead of altering the structure .

One thing that is crucial to making hair less tight is to make sure your hair is moisturized at all times. Dry hair will shrink up on you no matter what . If you have an issue with keeping up moisture, deep condition more often, incorporate cowashing and make sure you have a good moisturizer and sealer. Also, stretching your hair in braids especially will help combat shrinkage.

HTH
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to say this..

i think it's important to say this..

if the OP identifies her hair as 4B, suggesting that "proper moisturizing" will aid in reducing shrinkage is not only inappropriate given the site we are on but also irresponsible..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with AfroIsland: I have 4B hair, and my afro does look a little bigger when it's moisturized than when it's dry. I still have my regular texture when moisturized but, when dry, my hair looks and feels more packed down.

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msmonique1977 View Post
    I have 4b hair. I'm wondering if there is a product that I can use to loosen up my coils a little, like a conditioner maybe. I finally started to see some growth but it still looks like I have a TWA.
    It sounds like you want your hair to show more of its length. That's pretty common.

Like LOLzilla said, stretch your hair with braids, twists or banding.

Style your hair when it's damp instead of soaking wet. I get a LOT of shrinkage. My hair is to the middle of my back, but it will easily shrink above my chin after a wash. I put my hair in big twists after washing, and let it air dry. Then, I dampen the hair to put it into whatever style I want.

Good luck!
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOLzilla View Post
    i have to say this..

i think it's important to say this..

if the OP identifies her hair as 4B, suggesting that "proper moisturizing" will aid in reducing shrinkage is not only inappropriate given the site we are on but also irresponsible..
    Wait what?!

First off, how is what I said inappropriate or irresponsible? Are you saying 4b's can't add moisture to their hair if they're lacking it? Now that would be an irresponsible conclusion to come to . Many naturals of all varieties have commented that dryness leads to multiple issues with their hair, more excessive shrinkage included. I am also speaking from personal experience since I have 4b patches in my own hair. If my hair is at its peak level of moisture then the 4b area (along with the rest of my hair) hangs more and doesn't shrink to heck.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, it is possible this thread may be closed based on the subject matter, but just to clarify why other members are saying that this subject is not appropriate for Nappturailty, this is from NP's home page and mission statement:

1. Nappturality is all about acceptance of our hairtype and not carrying false expectations of what it can or can't be or do.
    2. It's not about taking the easy road and conforming.
    3. It's not about destroying your hair through continual straightening.
    4. It's about accepting yourself and your hair as it was intended to be.
    Wear your hair like you MEAN IT...LBellatrix
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    http://dezgoesnatural.blogspot.com
    See profile for fotki link (finally updated)
    Last hit of the white creamy crack: June 2007
    Full fledged nappy: 12/29/2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, if you want to show length then stretching your hair via several methods like banding, rollersetting, curly fros, braid outs or twistouts is the way to do it. No product will loosen your coils unless you go the chemical way, your best bet is to simulate that look with the methods I cited above (save for banding, that only stretches the kinks).

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a 4b, more of a 3b so I don't know if this will work for you, but I notice when I do a cowash with a good moisturizing conditioner (I'm feeling Fructis right now) and don't really rinse much of it out, just squeeze it out instead, leaving a lot of conditioner on my hair, it weighs it down a little bit and gets less shrinkage. I think it makes the curl pattern look a little looser for that day but definitely nothing permanent. HTH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast