toriq is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UGGHH i'm so bored with my hair (Can we start a new Napptural Style Pic thread??)

i'm just sayin....i've been 7.5 years natural and my hair hasn't grown past my shoulders (unstreched), and i'm tired of this mikifiki.

i cayn't really cornrow or flat twist, so my routine had always been:
    -twist/braids for a week,
    -t/o or b/o for a 2-3 days,
    -wet t/o or b/o for 1-2 days
    -curly puff 1-3 days,
    -fluff it out into afro puff for like a looong while,
    then all over again.

Well my twists don't look cute or healthy lately (as of the last year), and i don't know why, so it's just been afro puff or bun with twist-bangs, or pompadour with puff or bun. 2 styles! AND i'm ty-red of em.

Damnit let's post some pics of medium length (and short and longer) napptural hairstyles!! From magazines or your own. i'll start with my dry *** hair (i swear my hair strands size up water and moisturizers like "where the hell you think you going??")

Well here's some ideas that i've done over and over again:

(on blow-dried hair, which i hadn't done in 5 yrs)

NEED NEW IDEAS!!!
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as your pics go, your hair is really cute!! I understand how you feel because I'm not talented w/my hairstyling either. I'd say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Far as the health of your hair, maybe you should try a hot oil treatment, deep conditioning, protein treatment, or henna. IDK...just an idea. I'm not photogenic @ all, so unfortunately, I have no pics to share. But, I've been styling my hair in a fro-hawk lately.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You look really cute in that brown/yellow outfit (I love those colors together).

Are you looking for more retention (length)? If so, you may need to lengthen the time you're in twists/braids and reduce the time you have your hair open. Or, if your hair is open, do more buns.

I'm not good at cornrows either. Recently, I did a few. It was kind of difficult, but I figure I can either work at it and get better or forever say "I'm not good at cornrows."
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@FroOlogist: Girl, i tried homemade DC of shea, rhassoul clay, honey, and coconut cream and that worked for a lil but then the softness would just disappear. Tried Aubrey Organics, bought a steamer, conditioned weekly, washed it out with cool, slightly acidic water (as suggested by Kimmaytube), and my hair still be mad at me, that heffa. Lol. Onliest thing i can think of is that maybe my hair is sooooo thirsty it will take months before i feel it. i haven't tried Henna....might have to try that (and become a certified ingredient junkie lol).

@meraki: Thanks! Yep, looking for more retention but have to be patient, especially bc length doesn't show bc of shrinkage. Only recently discovered bunning without a scrunchie/band (i just use bobby pins), and yknow what's funny? i work at the airport, so as soon as i discovered this hairstyle--equipped with all kinds of metal bobby pins--i set the damn beeper off every time in security!! They hatin! lol!

Here's how i've been wearing it lately (the pompadour puff i was talmbout):

Another style i think is cute that i could aim for:
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've ever been to an Eritrean wedding, you might see some older women with this albaso qunano (albaso braids):

Traditionally, in the countryside, there are no extensions added, but you'll see women today adding extensions, especially for weddings. What's stupid is what you'll see as of the last couple of years is some women are adding STRAIGHT hair extensions and silky-a$$-curly hair extensions and all these blondish colors. And it looks a hot mess. They need to stick to the napptural-looking extensions.
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toriq View Post
    If you've ever been to an Eritrean wedding, you might see some older women with this albaso qunano (albaso braids):

Traditionally, in the countryside, there are no extensions added, but you'll see women today adding extensions, especially for weddings. What's stupid is what you'll see as of the last couple of years is some women are adding STRAIGHT hair extensions and silky-a$$-curly hair extensions and all these blondish colors. And it looks a hot mess. They need to stick to the napptural-looking extensions.
    The natural version of this style is SO PRETTY, but if I had skills like that, I probably wouldn't have hair ruts.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another style i think is cute that i could aim for:
    [/QUOTE]

The pompadour is cute on u!! The other style is gorgeous as well. Try doing a different version of it...twistout/braidout and push up the sides w/combs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG my jaw dropped when i saw the style at 2:58 !!!! A new hairstyle idea!

reflect...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP-I like the styles you posted in your first post. You have any other pics of those styles from different angles?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the albaso qunano. I might have to find a way to replicate that look with flat twists because Lord knows I can't cornrow.

I just don't get how they are able to keep the hair smooth and do a wide part with such a tiny braid in the middle. Very artistic.

ETA: Oooh. Never mind. I see how it is done here with this beautiful baby:

Looks like they just add hair from the very outside of the hair in each section to cornrow over the hair in the middle of the cornrow. I hope that makes sense lmbo!
    Last edited by Ms-gg; 10-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast